Genie understands how important it is to your practice workflow to be quick and efficient when invoicing for your patient services. Running a Verify of the patient's details to Medicare, DVA and the health fund before their appointment can save you having to quickly gather the correct patient information at the time of billing.
Before you begin
All information regarding the patient's Medicare, DVA and health fund must be added into the patient demographics before verifying.
Once you have entered all the Medicare and health fund information you know for the patient, select the Verify Online button at the bottom of the Patient Demographics window.
You will receive the following prompt:
Put a tick in the appropriate box for the details you wish to check and select OK. You will receive a prompt that says "Checking Patient Eligibility". Once this disappears the check is complete.
The request will return with one of the following responses:
1. The patient is eligible for Medicare.
2. A message indicating that one or more of the patient’s Medicare number, Individual Reference Number, or First Name do not match the values held by Medicare. In this case the value(s) held by Medicare are displayed in the message.
After clicking OK, you will be prompted to update the values held by Genie with those returned from Medicare.
If the patient’s first name is being updated, a prompt as to whether the value currently held in the First Name field in Genie should be moved to the Known As name in Genie.
3. A message indicating that the patient could not be identified on the Medicare system from the details provided in Genie.
4. Some other error message. In this case the action taken will depend on the error message returned. Contact the Genie Support desk if you are unsure of how to proceed with this message.
Where you have requested both a Medicare and health fund check, the Medicare check must be successful in order to progress to the health fund check. If you do not have the patient's Medicare details, you can still perform a health fund verification on its own by unticking the Medicare option.
Health fund checks will return a prompt saying either:
1. The patient is a member of the fund in question
2. The patient is a member but does not have hospital cover
3. That you must check fund membership details; meaning there is not adequate information to verify the patient and you may need to contact the fund.
If the patient has registered their name differently with their fund to Medicare, you can put the health fund name into the Alias fields in the Secondary tab of the Patient Demographics window. The health fund check will use these fields to do the verification instead.
The DVA verification performs essentially the same checks as the Medicare check, but instead of checking the patient's Medicare number, it checks their DVA number.
Please note: While the Demographics window allows for the Gender field to contain M, F, I, or N (or to be left blank), DVA restrictions require either M or F to be entered. You will receive an alert if you attempt to perform a DVA verification for a patient with anything other than M or F in their Gender field.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.