We understand the questions you have surrounding the imminent upgrade to Medicare Web Services. To support you in this transition, we have collated some frequently asked questions below so that you can have all the need-to-know information in one spot.
When will I be able to use Medicare Web Services (MWS) in Genie?
Genie v9.4.6 connects your practice to Medicare Web Services. To keep claiming as normal, you will need to upgrade to v9.4.6 or above before the 13 March 2022 Services Australia deadline.
We have now released Genie v9.4.7 which fixes a small bug identified in v9.4.6 relating to DVA reports.
When will Genie v9.4.7 be released?
Genie v9.4.7 was released on 9 March 2022 and is now available for download. Please see our upgrading guide for steps to update your Genie software.
Do I need a PRODA account to use Medicare Web Services?
You do not require a PRODA account to continue claiming through Medicare and ECLIPSE as normal. We have registered all of our practices against our Genie Solutions PRODA account to make this transition easier for you.
If you are wishing to use additional services such as My Health Record, or you need to update your practice details with Services Australia, you will need to register with PRODA.
I am getting an alert that I have PKI certificates expiring, do I need to do anything?
You may be receiving an alert upon logging into Genie that there are certificates that have expired or will expire soon.
If it is only the Medicare Online global certificate that is expiring, you can simply ignore this as this does not need to be updated. If, however, you have additional certificates expiring, these will need to be dealt with and updated if appropriate. See the question below which details the different certificates that require your attention before updating to Genie v9.4.6 or above.
If you would like to stop receiving this alert each time you log in, navigate to File > User Preferences > General and un-tick the "Check for Expiring PKI Certificates" checkbox in the bottom-right.
Do I need to do anything before updating to Genie v9.4.7?
We've tried to make the shift to Medicare Web Services as seamless as possible, however, there are a few things you'll need to check before updating to the latest Genie version.
- If you have any practice-specific electronic certificates that are expiring before 13 March 2022, these will need to be renewed before upgrading.
- For customers that access My Health Record using a NASH certificate, any expiring certificates will need to be updated using this guide. If you are having trouble requesting new certificates please contact the Australian Digital Health Agency on 1800 700 199.
- If your Medicare PKI location certificates are expiring before 13 March 2022, these will need to be updated so that you can seamlessly shift your practice to MWS. If these certificates have not been automatically renewed, check out this guide.
- If you have any claims (Bulk Bill or ECLIPSE) that are older than 6 months, you will need to retrieve reports for these services before upgrading to the latest Genie version.
- You will also need to transmit any stored patient claims and IMC claims prior to upgrading, otherwise all stored claims will need to be recreated once you are connected to Medicare Web Services. This does not affect bulk bill and DVA batches, only patient claims and IMC ECLIPSE invoices.
We've created a handy checklist that you can tick off to ensure you are confident in upgrading to v9.4.6 or above and connecting your practice to Medicare Web Services.
Still have questions?
Submit a request to our friendly support team so they can assist with any additional enquiries you may have.