The Australian Government has mandated that from 1 March 2021, influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations must be sent to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). Each vaccination must include the Batch number and the Serial number*.
We have updated the vaccinations available for Genie users in time for Phase 1b of Australia's COVID-19 vaccination rollout beginning 22 March 2021. The following vaccines are now available:
- COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca
- Pfizer Comirnaty
* There is currently no field in Genie to record the 'Serial number', however, we understand (based on information from Medicare and the MSIA) that the serial number is not present in the initial COVID vaccine rollout.
How can I send COVID-19 vaccinations through to AIR?
Currently you can send your COVID-19 vaccinations two separate ways:
- Transmit vaccinations through your Genie software via the HIC Online adapter*; or
- Submit vaccinations via your HPOS portal.
* As the initial batch of COVID-19 vaccinations do not have a serial number, you will be able to send these reports to AIR via HIC Online in your Genie software. We are planning to complete AIR integration with these additional requirements in the first phase of our Medicare Webservices development.
Transmitting vaccinations through Genie
In order to utilise the Vaccinations section in Genie, your practice specialty (File > Set Practice Type) must be set as 'General Practice', 'Obs/Gynae/IVF Specialist', 'Plastic Surgery', 'Anaesthetics' or 'Other Specialty'.
1. Update your vaccination list
- Open a patient's clinical file and navigate to the "Other" (Large Clinical Window) or "Social" tab;
- In the Vaccinations section, click the button;
- Within the Edit Vaccines window, click the button to bring in the current vaccine codes.
Please note: If you use ICPC-2 codes within your Genie, the April 2021 ICPC-2 PLUS release is available for download from Special > Software Updates as of Tuesday, 16 March 2021 with new codes for COVID-19. You will be able to link these codes to your vaccines through the Edit Vaccinations window and/or choose these codes as problems within your consultation notes.
2. Transmit to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)
When adding a vaccination in Genie, you must ensure that the Transmit to AIR checkbox is ticked.
You can then transmit your vaccinations to AIR through File > Maintenance & Reports > Daily > AIR Immunisations. Click New Transmission, select the appropriate provider and provider number and then Create Transmission > Transmit.
For more information on this process, please see our article on AIR Transmissions.