Certain features of Genie require it to connect to our online services, and disruptions to this connection can prevent these features from working. If this happens, you may receive an error 9913, followed by the text "Network lookup Failed DNS Error" when trying to access the Software Updates window or similar services. Otherwise, you may also find Genie telling you that you have 0 SMS credits, when you're sure you've got plenty.
If you're experiencing an issue like this, read below to find the potential problems that might block Genie's access to our online services, and the solutions that should resolve the disruption(s).
Please Note: If you're not confident making changes to firewalls or DNS settings, then it might be best to contact your nominated IT support or network administrator.
Possible causes for the error could be one or more of the following:
- A network (internet) connection issue - the Genie program may not be able to connect to any external directories
- A port being blocked by a firewall
- DNS settings being incorrect
1. Confirm that the computer receiving the error has an active (and fast/reliable) connection to the internet. This can be confirmed by the following:
- Navigate to Special > Software Updates and check to see if this loads in a reasonable amount of time or at all.
- Open your internet browser and navigate to https://www.geniesolutionssoftware.com.au/ - confirm whether this loads in a timely fashion.
2. Ensure that your firewall has not blocked any access to our WebServer.
3. Confirm that your SMS are being sent from the correct computer in the Appts > SMS Reminders > Setup. You can confirm which computer Genie is sending the messages from in the Automatically send SMS Messages from this computer: drop down.
4. Ask your IT representative to configure your DNS settings within your router.
If none of the above have corrected the issue, please contact Genie Support who will be happy to look into this issue further for you.