Once you've set up your Stock Module in Genie, you can start including these stock items on your invoices.
Before you begin
You will need to ensure that you have the Stock Module configured before trying to invoice for stock items. To configure the Stock Module, please refer to our article on Setting up the Stock Module
To invoice a patient for a stocked item, highlight their name in the Appointment Book (or Patient list) and go into Billing > Invoice.
1. Firstly, add any non-stock items (i.e. MBS items) to your invoice.
2. Once you have added these items, click on the Add Item to Invoice button to add your first managed stock item.
3. In this window, enter your stock code in the item number field and press Tab; the item's fee (for this patient's account type) will be populated into the Amount field.
Note: The quantity of any item can be increased by using the Qty field to the right of Item No.
4. If you would like to add any details regarding the use of this item, you can enter this information in the Note field in the bottom left of this window.
5. Press Save to finalise this item and return to the invoice.
6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for any additional stocked items you would like to include in this invoice.
7. Once you have completed your invoice, either click on Defer/Print or enter a payment amount and click on Receipt (depending on whether your patient has paid their balance at the time of invoicing).
Note: The receipting process for stocked items is the same as your usual receipting process. For more information on receipting in Genie, please see the Receipting article.
Once the invoice has been finalised, your stock quantities in the Stock Control window will be modified accordingly.
When an invoice that contains a stocked item is deleted, the stock is automatically re-added to your stock quantity.
In the event that you are willing to honour a refund for this item but you cannot sell the stock, it is better to simply credit the item rather than deleting the invoice altogether.
Doing so will result in a prompt that allows you to choose whether you would like to re-add the stock.
In the event that you have run out of a particular stocked item, or you would like to take pre-orders for an upcoming item, it is possible to add patients to a waiting list.
To view the waiting list, go into Open > Stock Control and click on the Waiting List button.
Patients can be added to the waiting list by clicking on the blue plus icon . In the resulting search window, search for your patient and then click on Select.
Once you have selected the patient, enter the stocked item in the Item Number field and press Tab to populate its details.
If the patient has requested a higher quantity of this item, enter this in the Quantity field.
Once you have completed the record, press the Save button.
The patient and their requested item will now be displayed in the waiting list.
When you add new stock for this item, a prompt will notify you that there are patients waiting to be invoiced.
If you would like to view the patients now, click on the Waiting List button. The patients will now be highlighted in green to indicate that they are ready to be invoiced.
There are two ways you can action this from the waiting list window:
- Invoicing the patient: to invoice the patient, highlight their name and click on the Invoice button
- Contacting the patient: to view the patient's contact information, highlight their name and click on the Patient demographics button
If you choose to invoice the patient, an invoicing window will be populated with the item(s) in the Items to Charge list.
Automatically add the item(s) to the invoice by clicking on the Add Items to Invoice button. The item(s) will be populated into the invoice with the respective fees.
The provider noted on this invoice will default to the provider the patient has listed as their Usual Provider in their Patient Demographics window.
Note: If the patient does not have a Usual Provider selected, the item will not populate into the invoice automatically. In this situation you must either add the item(s) manually or cancel the invoice and add a Usual Provider.
Alternatively, if you have chosen to contact the patient and they are no longer interested in this item, highlight their name and click on the Delete button to remove them from the waiting list.
In the event that you do not have any (or enough) stock to fulfil the amount requested in an invoice, you will be presented with an alert.
Depending on your selection in this window, the stocked item will be dealt with in the following ways:
- Add Patient to Waiting List - Full Amount: Automatically create an entry in the waiting list with the total quantity requested.
- Add Patient to Waiting List - Remaining: Automatically add the amount available to the invoice and add the remaining amount to the waiting list.
- Adjust Quantity Sold to Available Stock: Automatically adjust the invoice to the amount available and disregard the amount initially requested.
If one of these options is appropriate, select the radio buttons and press OK.
Alternatively, if you think that you might have a similar product the patient may be interested in, you can quickly check your list of stocked items by clicking on the Stock Module button.
In this situation, you would inspect the stock control list, click on Cancel to return to the invoicing window, and then add the alternative item to the invoice.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.