If you use online claim transmission, you may encounter problems when trying to create and send claims for Medicare, DVA or health funds. To help Genie Support figure out what is causing your problems, we may sometimes ask you to upload your HIC Online Log Files following the steps below.
Before you begin
The steps below are only appropriate if you are using online transmission for your claims to Medicare, DVA or the health funds. If you process your claims manually, then this article won't be right for you.
HIC logs need to be uploaded from the computer where the problem occurred.
HIC Online Logs can be helpful for Genie Support to diagnose your transmission problems. We will need the logs in the following situations:
- If you are updating your PKI Location Certificates;
- If you are updating your Mater E1000 Certificates;
- If you have transmitted a claim with an indefinite referral but Medicare says the claim didn't include this information;
- If you have submitted a claim with overrides but Medicare says this information isn't included;
- If Medicare, DVA or the fund say they haven't received a claim;
- If you are receiving one of the following errors: 1011, 1003, 21002, 21003; or
- If Genie Support request that you upload them.
Please note: If you have uploaded logs without having yet spoken to one of our team, please give us a call or send through an email so that we can confirm the details of your problem.
If you have had an issue with a claim you will need to upload your logs directly after the claim has been sent as the logs will only hold the information for a limited number of claims at a time.
If you are on Genie v9.0.6 or above you can upload your HIC Online Logs to Genie Support automatically. If you are on an older version, you will need to upload your logs manually using instructions in the section below.
To upload your logs automatically to Genie Support, navigate to File > Maintenance & Reports > Administrator and select Upload HIC Online Log Files.
You should see a loading bar that says Notifying Genie Support of Upload. Once this has finished you will get an alert to say Files Uploaded Successfully. If this does not work and you receive an error, please upload the files manually using the steps in the below section.
You have the option to manually upload your HIC Online Logs on any version of Genie, but this is a requirement for Genie v9.0.5 and below. To gather and upload these files, please follow the below steps:
HIC Online Log Files
- Navigate to Help > About Genie (Windows) or Genie Client > About Genie (Macintosh). You will receive an About Genie window with a Printer icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Alt/Option + click on the printer icon and a Finder/File Browser window will appear. The window will have a certain folder already highlighted. This folder will be labelled either Client_XXXX or Solo_XXXX depending on which Genie application you use.
- Double-click on the highlighted file. It is essential that you open this file and not any of the others.
- Within this folder there will be a HICOnline folder. You will need to take a copy of this whole HICOnline folder, as it contains the Logs as well as the local PSI file. The PSI file is essential to restoring the PSI store if needed.
- You will then need to compress this file by right clicking on the HICOnline folder and selecting Send To > Compressed (zipped) folder for Windows or Compress for Mac. Move this compressed folder to the desktop.
System Report (Windows only)
If you are on a Windows machine, you will also need to manually generate the System Report. To do this go to File > Maintenance & Reports > Administrator > Check HIC Online Installation. This will generate a text file called System_Report.txt. Save this System Report text file to the desktop.
Sending the files
Once you have generate both the HIC Online Log Files and System Report (Windows only), please email both the compressed HICOnline folder and the System Report through to firstname.lastname@example.org.