We understand that from time to time you may find that your Genie usernames are no longer appropriate for the user they are linked to. If you've tried to change this within User Preferences, then you've probably noticed that this doesn't change the name in your Login window or Appointment Book. This is because your username is set when your user is created and links to multiple records within your database. For this reason, changing a username is not a straightforward process within Genie, though it is still possible.
Before you begin
The information below outlines when it is appropriate to change a username in Genie and instructions for how to do so. The instructions do not include the execute command to correct the username simply due to the impact the command will have on your data file. To obtain this command, please contact Genie Support.
Usernames can be changed in the following instances:
- Correcting a spelling mistake in a username
- A user has had a legal name change, such as through marriage or divorce
- A user has had their title changed, such as progressing from Associate Professor to Professor
The scenarios in which a username may not be changed include:
- A user has left the practice and a new person is entering that role
- A user wishes to take ownership of a generic or shared user account, such as Reception or Administrator
If your change reason matches one listed above, the Genie Support team will be happy to assist you with changing your username.
Below are the steps involved with changing the username so that you can prepare for the process. As the process to change the username will affect multiple records in Genie, the required Execute Command has been left out of the instructions below. To perform the change you will need to speak with one of our Support Team members to obtain the Execute Command required.
The following instructions are to be carried out using Genie Single User (Genie Solo) on the server computer. Please note: As the Genie Server will be closed during this process, no users will be able to log on until it is relaunched at the end of the process. If you are not confident that you could restore a backup of your Genie data you should not proceed. We would recommend speaking to your nominated IT support person before going any further.
- Take a backup of your current Genie data and ensure that you are capable of restoring this backup if needed.
- On the server machine quit Genie Server
- Open Genie Solo
- Log in as the Administrator (or someone with access to the Execute Command menu)
- Navigate to File > Execute Command
- Type in the execute command that Genie Support has provided you with
- Click Enter
- Select the User whose name you wish to change
- Click OK
- Enter the New Username
- Click OK and you will see the following prompt:
If you do not see this prompt, the command did not work successfully.
- Cancel out of the Execute Command Window
- Ensure that the change has been made
- Quit out of Genie Solo
- Open Genie Server. Once relaunched, log back into your Genie Clients.