If you've got a specific question about your billing and financial records in Genie, you may find a quick answer below in our commonly received questions.
Before you begin
If you can't find your question below, or the information doesn't answer your question, please contact our Support Team who will be happy to look into this for you.
If you're looking for more general information regarding Health Funds, you may find the Billing and Financials section of our Knowledgebase has some helpful articles for you.
A WorkCover or TAC form can be reprinted by double clicking on the certificate in the Certificates section of the Claims window and selecting Print.
It's possible that Genie may not have had a chance to catch up with the changes you've made in an Account History, which can result in an incorrect Account Balance showing. To correct this, simply open the patient's Demographics and select the Account Holder box.
This will open the Account Holder record. Simply select Update Balance and this should force Genie to pull in the correct outstanding balance for the Account Holder.
If the balance is still incorrect, we would recommend running a Check Integrity.
If you've created an invoice in error and wish to delete it, you will simply need to select the invoice on the left of the patient account history and choose the trash can in the top left corner.
You will be prompted to confirm that you wish to delete the invoice and then to give a reason for the deletion.
Please note: You cannot delete an invoice with any payments or credits on it. You would first need to remove the payments/credits before deleting the invoice.
Before deleting any invoices, we would recommend you read our Deleting Payments and Invoices article
Once an invoice has been deleted it is not possible to recover it. A record of the deleted invoice will be created in the Audit which can be found in File > Maintenance and Reports > Administrator. If you would like to bring the invoice back into Genie, you will need to simply recreate it.
When accepting a deposit for a patient, Genie will record the date this payment has entered the system. This is because this is the date you have actually received the money, and should match your banking records outside of Genie.
If you have sealed your banking after accepting the deposit, but before applying the deposit, the payment date in the Daily Banking Report will stay the same as the deposit date when the deposit is applied to an invoice.
If the banking is not sealed after you accept the deposit, the payment date in the Daily Banking Report will update to the date the deposit was applied to an invoice.
Please Note: Not sealing your banking between accepting a deposit and applying it can make it more difficult to reconcile your accounts. For this reason, we suggest sealing your banking in between accepting a deposit and applying it.
You can quickly find the patient an invoice belongs to using a simple search in Genie. To do this:
- Navigate to File > Maintenance and Reports > Administrator and select the Sales option
- Click on the magnifying glass icon in the top left corner and you will be presented with the following window:
- In Available Fields select the arrow to the left of Sale and more options should appear below
- Scroll down until you find InvoiceNum [Transaction]. Select this and ensure that 'is equal to' is selected in Comparisons.
- Type the invoice number into the value box and select Query. Genie should present you with the Service Date, Patient, Provider, Item, Total Fee and Payments associated with this invoice.
If a patient has been invoiced their status should change in the Appointment Book. Their status can be identified by the colour of the text in their appointment.
You can also find patients who haven't been invoiced using the "Check Missing Invoices" function. To do this:
- Navigate to Appts > Check Missing Invoices.
- You will be presented with this window:
- You will be prompted to select a date range and the providers you would like to include. Choose your date range and provider and select OK.
- Genie will then present you with a list of patients in that date range that have not had an invoice created which includes services from the date of their appointment.
- Once you have updated your practice preferences, navigate to Open > Bank Accounts, and double-click on the account relevant to the doctor.
- Within the resulting window, ensure all details are correct, and tick the Accept Direct Deposit payments for this bank account checkbox. When you have completed this, select Save. You should now see Direct Deposit details on invoices.
You can keep track of what has been billed and paid for your assistant items using the Assistants Report from File > Maintenance & Reports > Practice Analysis. This will only display 513XX assistant items. If you use your own custom item numbers you will need to either view the Item Report or use the QuickReport function.
There are two options for reviewing your sales for a particular item.
1. The Item Report under File > Maintenance and Reports > Practice Analysis will show you how many sales of that item number have been made in that time period. It will also show the value of those sales and which patients have been billing it. For more information on the Item Report, please see our Item Report article.
2. The Billing vs Income Report also offers a Print Sales functionality. This allows you to see all patient and service dates for sales including this item number. To use this functionality, please follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to File > Maintenance and Reports > Practice Analysis and select Billing vs Income Report.
- Set your preferred date range in the window that appears.
- Genie will display on overview of the sales by provider as below:
- Select a provider to view the report for and then choose Print Sales. You will receive a report similar to below:
If you've accepted a payment during the day and later realised that the payment type has been entered incorrectly, it is possible to change it without having to delete and re-accept the payment. This is only possible if you have not yet sealed your banking. To do this:
Navigate to File >Maintenance and Reports > Daily and select Daily Banking.
Locate your payment and double click to open the payment record
Next to Payment Type you will see the current payment type in a drop down menu. Simply select the drop down and change the payment type, then click Save.
If you've noticed that a particular item number comes up for every patient, it is possible that your doctor has their Default Item Number set to this number. To check this navigate to File > All User Preferences and open the preferences for the relevant doctor.
Open the General tab and locate Default Item No. on the left hand side.
If there is anything entered in this box it will cause the Select Item Number window to appear after the doctor has closed out of a patients clinical window. If they choose Save on this window it will apply whichever item number has been selected to the patient for invoicing.
If you would still like this window to come up but don't want a particular item number to appear by default, simply enter 0 into the Default Item No. box in the doctors User Preferences.
If your practice is using Tyro you will know that the Tyro machine is triggered any time you try to receipt an Eftpos payment through Genie. To process an Eftpos payment in Genie without triggering Tyro, please follow the below steps:
- Receipt your payment as usual, however instead of selecting Eftpos as the payment type, choose Cash.
- Navigate to File> Maintenance and Reports> Daily and select Daily Banking Report. Find your cash payment that you have just receipted and double click to open the record. In the payment type drop down, select Eftpos and then Save.
If you've opened a patient's Account History, expecting to find a list of invoices but instead have found it blank, then the Account Holder for the patient may have been changed. To ensure the correct Account Holder is listed for the patient, navigate to the patient's Demographics window and review the Account Holder section. If the Account Holder here is incorrect, you can select Self to make the Account Holder the patient, or Other to choose another Account Holder record. Please note that Account Holders for patient's must be a person, not an organisation.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.