Getting into a routine can be the best way to keep on top of all of your administration tasks. This guide will point you in the right direction for the tasks you should be completing monthly and how to complete them.
Before you begin
Before running through your End of Month Tasks, you will need to ensure that you have access to the Maintenance and Reports window. Your administrator can give you access to this via File> Edit Groups.
For the Data Maintenance component of the End of Month Tasks, you will need to have access to your server computer.
The Check Integrity is the best way to ensure the health of your financial data in Genie. This should be run and any problems resolved before running any other report to ensure accuracy. For more information on the Check Integrity feature, please refer to our Knowledgebase article.
Please note: You will need to ensure that no one carries out any billing while the Check Integrity is running. We recommend carrying this out after hours where possible.
To run your Check Integrity:
- Navigate to File> Maintenance & Reports> Monthly
- Select the Check Integrity icon and in the new window select the Check Data button to begin the process.
- Genie will run through your billing data and check for any problem Transactions, Sales Payments or Account Balances. If there are no problems, 'Everything Balances' will appear in the right hand pane along with a summary.
- If problems are found, these will be displayed in one of the four boxes at the bottom of the window; Problem Transactions, Problem Sales, Problem Payments and Problem Accounts. If problems do appear, please contact our Support Team to help you to deal with these.
Your Billing vs Income Report is a great way to see what you've billed and what you've received in a select period. For more information on this report, please review our article on Billing vs Income.
To run this report:
- Navigate to File> Maintenance & Reports> Practice Analysis
- Click on the Billing vs Income Report icon.
- Specify the time period for the report in the Period drop down menu and choose to sub-divide by Provider or Month.
- The resultant window will display a list of providers that have billing or income records for the specified time period.
- You can split the totals to view individual sites of service by clicking the arrow icon next to a provider's name. A red dot will appear to the left of the individual sites of service.
- Click the printer icon to print the report as it is displayed or click the graph icon to graph the results.
- You can view the data in a variety of formats using the Print Breakdown, Print Sales and Print Receipts buttons at the top of the window.
The Aged Debtors Report allows you to see an overview of which Account Holders have outstanding amounts. For more information on this report, please review our article on Aged Debtors
To run this report:
- Navigate to File > Maintenance & Reports > Practice Analysis.
- Click on the Aged Debtors Report icon
- The As of: date is used to calculate the age of the debtors listed in the report
- The Cut Off Date: will exclude services after this date
- You can highlight an account holder to activate the buttons at the top of the window
- Print, graph or export the report to Excel using the relevant icon at the top of the window.
At the end of each day, all patient appointments in the Appointment Book should appear in blue font to indicate that they have been invoiced. As a secondary precaution, you can run the following report to check invoice service dates against patient appointment dates. This is a more reliable check without going into each individual patient's account history.
- Navigate to Appts > Check Missing Invoices and click OK.
- Enter the desired date range in the From and To fields and specify a particular provider by selecting the Select option or choose All.
- If missing invoices are found, an Appointments Found window will display listing all patient appointments for the specified time period without an invoice.
- For more information on the 'Check' options in Genie, please refer to our Check Forward Referrals, Missing Invoices and Missing Consults article.
This report will allow you to see which invoices are yet to be paid. For more information on this report, please review our article on Unpaid Invoices.
- Navigate to File > Maintenance & Reports > Monthly.
- Click on the Unpaid Invoices button.
- In this window you can choose to display all unpaid invoices at once or divide them by account holder type (Medicare, DVA, Individuals, etc) by selecting the relevant button.
- You can also select whether to display blacklisted accounts, unprinted invoices and batch processed accounts by ticking the relevant tick boxes in the top right section of the window.
- The invoices displayed will be any invoices with an outstanding balance, with an invoice date that falls between the time period specified in the Owing for more than: and Owing for less than: fields.
- To print a copy of an invoice in the list, highlight it and click the Print Invoices button.
- To print a statement for an account holder showing all of their unpaid invoices, highlight the first record in the list and then Shift + click to highlight the last record, and then click Print Statements. You can also Cmd + click (Mac) or Ctrl + click (Windows) to highlight multiple individual invoices.
- Highlight an invoice and click the Remove Discounts button to remove any discounts that had previously been applied to the invoice.
- To print a reminder letter, highlight an invoice and select the applicable letter template from the Select Template drop down list to the right of the print invoices button. This template must have been first created as a Merged Letter Template.
Note: While invoices will be displayed by invoice date, Genie will use the print date to determine how overdue an invoice is. This is because Genie assumes that an invoice cannot be overdue until it has been printed and given to the account holder. Invoices raised on the same day as the report is run will not show up. Invoices need to be at least one day old to be classified as ‘unpaid’.
Note: Both of the below processes are required to be performed directly on the server machine. The Clean Up Data File process will require that all users are logged out of Genie
Clean Up Data File
This process examines every field of every record in the database and repairs any invalid values. This can be done on a monthly basis as maintenance to help prevent data corruption. Bear in mind this can take upwards of half an hour to complete, and all users must be logged out of Genie Client before you begin. Usually this process is best to be run in Genie Solo on the server machine, however it can also be run from a Genie Client machine when there are no other users logged into Genie.
- On the server machine, quit the Genie Server application and launch the Genie Solo (Single User) application.
- Log in, then go to File > Maintenance & Reports.
- Click the icon labelled Clean Up Data File.
- You will receive the below prompt. Click Proceed.
- When this has finished, you will receive another prompt as follows. Click OK.
- Click the icon labelled Rebuild Indices. Click Continue when prompted, then click OK when Genie says it will quit and restart itself.
- Once you are presented with the log in screen, you can click Cancel to close the program, and launch the Genie Server application again. Clients may then log back in if required.
Verify of Record and Indexes
This process checks the health of the data file, and is performed in the Maintenance & Security Centre of the Genie Server application. The instructions for this can be found in the Verifying your Genie Data article.