Occasionally in our busy day to day tasks we can run into little obstacles that prevent us from getting our work done. One of these obstacles can sometimes come in the form of a "Locked Record" alert.
This guide will outline the steps to take if you receive a ‘Locked Record’ alert when trying to access a record within Genie.
Records become locked when they are being accessed by another user. For example, you may receive an alert if the doctor has a patient’s Clinical File open, and you attempt to interact with the same patient, such as invoicing or opening their Demographic window. If this is the case, you will need to wait until the user accessing this record has closed it.
However, in some instances the record remains locked, even after the user has exited. This happens when Genie still thinks that the record is open somewhere. It's possible that the record can be open in the background which can be caused by Genie crashing, or any other unusual behaviour while a user is accessing the record.
Please note: If unexpected errors do appear while using Genie or you are experiencing consistent crashing, please contact Genie Support for assistance.
To resolve this issue you must unlock the record. You can attempt to resolve this by kicking out the user that the record is locked to. To do this:
- Navigate to File> Maintenance & Reports> General and select Server Admin Window.
- Select Users and choose the offending user from the list. Once highlighted click the Drop User option at the bottom of the window. This will kick this user off Genie and should close any windows they have open. They will then need to log back in.
If this does not work, you will need to restart the Genie Server application. In doing this, Genie will kick all users off the system and correctly close any processes currently running. For this reason, you will need to ensure that everyone has saved their work and is prepared to be off Genie for a few minutes before beginning.
- On the server computer, open the Genie Server window.
- Go to File > Quit (Windows) or Genie Server > Quit (Mac).
- Choose the Disconnect all clients and quit option and click OK
- Double click the Genie Server icon to restart the application.
All users will then be able to log back into Genie and you should now have access to this patient record.