With all the patients that come in and out of your practice, it can be difficult to keep track of who is responsible for each person's invoices. To ensure you can send your invoices to the right person or organisation without the messy notes, Genie has the Account Holder record.
Before you begin
- All patients that you intend to bill for will need an Account Holder. All Account Holders for patients must be a human being. While an organisation can be an Account Holder in it’s own right, you cannot link an organisation as the Account Holder for a patient.
- You can review the Account Holder for a patient by opening the patient’s Demographics. The Account Holder will either be Self or Other, and the details of the Account Holder will be shown in the adjacent box.
- If you are interested in invoicing an organisation such as a school or law firm, please refer to the Invoicing a Health Fund or Organisation section of our Invoicing article.
- If a patient is going to be their own Account Holder, you can simply open their Demographics and select Self in the Account Holder section. Genie will automatically fill in the relevant details in the Account Holder record.
- If another person needs to be the Account Holder for a patient, such as a minor, you would first need to create a patient record for the person that will be responsible for the accounts. This can be done by going to Open> Patients, cancelling out of the Search window and selecting the blue plus icon. Once their Demographics have been completed, select the Self option next to Account Holder. Genie will then auto-fill the Account Holder details. You can then return to the original patient’s Demographics, select Other as the Account Holder and search for the relevant patient who will now be responsible for the account.
- If you are creating an Account Holder for an organisation navigate to Open> Account Holders and cancel out of the search window. Choose the blue plus icon and you will be presented with a New Account Holder window.
Batch Process Invoices
If you would like to batch the invoices for this organisation, tick the Batch Process Invoices tickbox. Batch processing means that instead of sending an individual invoice for each patient contact, the invoices are stored and printed as a batch perhaps weekly or monthly.
The printed batch is a listing of all the invoices stored and can be forwarded with or without the individual invoices attached, depending on the organisation’s requirements.
Charge GST For All Items
If this box is ticked, Genie will add the GST on top of the fee when billing to this Account Holder
Blacklisting an Account Holder will mean that any patient with this Account Holder cannot be booked for an appointment. For more information on blacklisting please refer to our Blacklisting Account Holders article.
The Update Balance button can be used in situations in which a patient’s account displays an outstanding balance that you know is not valid. Clicking on the Update Balance button refreshes the account balance for that Account Holder
This is a unique identification number for this Account Holder. This can be used in QuickReports and queries to track down information regarding this Account Holder.
Use this Schedule when invoicing this organisation/ if it’s a private health fund
This section tells Genie which Fee Schedule to use by default when an invoice is created for this Account Holder. If this Account Holder is for a Private Health Fund, you will need to ensure that you select the relevant fee schedule for this fund.
Multiple Procedure Rule to Employ
This section lets Genie know which Multiple Procedure rule to employ when invoicing to this Account Holder
As of Genie version 8.6.8, the WorkCover Online section will appear in the Account Holder window for all organisation. For more information, please refer to the WorkCover Online section of our Workcover article.
- The Account Holder records for Medicare and DVA are special cases. They should already be present in the Account Holders list. For these records the names must always be Medicare and Dept of Veterans Affairs respectively. Any change to this can cause problems with your invoicing and financial reporting. It is also important that no new account holder records are created with the same names.
- When Genie is launched, it searches for these two records, and stores their unique Account ID numbers in Practice Preferences > Details as shown below:
- Whenever you send an invoice to either of these records, they are automatically batched and a DB4 form is printed instead of an ordinary invoice. If you would like to print a DB4 form, make sure you have Medicare DB4 selected in Printing Preferences (File > Printing Preferences)
- If you would like to send an ordinary invoice to the Dept of Veterans Affairs, you must create a new account holder record and name it anything BUT ‘Dept of Veterans Affairs'
If your account holder is a person, you can simply open their patient record via Open > Patients. Search for their name and highlight the relevant record. Right click and select Account History or go to Billing > Account history to view all invoices where this person is the account holder or the patient.
If your account holder is an organisation, navigate to Open > Account Holders. Search for the Account Holder and select the relevant record. Go to Billing > Account History and from here you can view all invoices in which this organisation is the Account Holder.
There is no direct way to merge account holder records, however if you wanted to achieve this you can follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to Open > Account Holders and search for an account holder as required e.g. you may have two account holder records for patient John Smith.
- Highlight the first record in question, then navigate to Billing > Account History. You can do this for all instances of the account holder you would like to merge to review which record has the most invoices associated.
- For the record with the most invoices, this is the account holder record you will be keeping. Double click on the account holder record to modify the name field, distinguishing this from the other account holder of the same name by adding a number or symbol to the end of the name e.g. John Smith1 or John SmithKeep.
- For the record with the least number of invoices, highlight this and go back to Billing > Account History.
- In this window, re-address each invoice to the account holder record with the most invoices assigned by highlighting the invoice and clicking the Re-address icon in the top left of the window.
- In the next window, click the Change Account Holder button and search for the account holder record with the most invoices (e.g. John SmithKeep), select this and click Close. You should find the account holder of that invoice has changed to John SmithKeep.
- Continue re-addressing invoices until there are no longer any invoices assigned to the second account holder.
- When there are no longer any invoices associated with the second account holder, this account holder may be deleted using the trashcan icon from within the Account Holders window.
- Once this is done, you can rename the account holder with all the invoices assigned (e.g. John SmithKeep) back to John Smith.
If you are running Genie v9.3.4 and above, you can search for an Account Holder by their BPAY Customer Reference Number. In Open > Account Holders, click the magnifying glass icon then enter in the BPAY CRN to search for the specific Account Holder.