This article will outline the different options available for using Genie remotely whilst away from the practice, whether it be in theatre, catching up on work at home or working from remote locations.
Before you begin
The options available for using Genie are in Offsite Logging mode (Genie Single
User) or remotely in real-time via a remote desktop (terminal services) connection.
The remote desktop server environment is only available on the Microsoft Windows operating system; Apple remote desktop and other remote control programs are not supported or intended for use in the manner described in this document. For more information regarding remote access to Macs, please refer to the below section on Mac Remote Access Programs.
Please note: For single- and multi-user remote access solutions such as remote desktop, terminal services, or a third-party remote application, you will need to contact your nominated IT support or network administrator, as these are outside the scope of the Genie application.
The Genie application can be run on a remote machine, such as a laptop, without an internet connection. Changes made while Offsite Logging will be incorporated back into the main database upon connection to the Genie Server.
To use Offsite Logging, you'll first need to take a copy of your Genie data to take offsite with you. For instructions on how to do this, please see our Database Replication article, which will also guide you through using Offsite Logging.
Note: There are some limitations relating to the information that can be logged and changes that can be made using Offsite Logging. Invoices cannot be raised or images & attachments added while in Offsite Logging mode.
Refer to the Offsite Logging limitations in the Genie Manual. If you require full update access to your database, consider Option 2 or 3 below.
Remote Desktop enables you to connect to your computer across the Internet from virtually any computer. Once connected, Remote Desktop gives you mouse and keyboard control over your computer while showing you everything that's happening on the screen. Remote Desktop allows you to leave your computer at the office and use Genie in real-time from another location.
To use Remote Desktop, the following requirements must be met:
- The host computer:
- Must be running a support version of Windows per the Genie Hardware Requirements.
- Must be a separate machine to the Genie Server.
- Must have Genie Client installed.
- Must be connected to the internet through a VPN connection.
- Must be part of a corporate network in which remote desktop connections are permitted.
- The remote computer:
- Can be running Windows or Mac.
- Must have remote desktop connection client software installed.
- Must be connected to the internet through a VPN connection.
- Does not require Genie Client to be installed.
Note: The host computer will allow one person to connect remotely. The computer will be locked while the remote connection is active.
Computers running Windows Server Edition have the option of providing multiple concurrent Remote Desktop Connections when run in a Terminal Server role. Remote access will occur in the same manner as Option 2 above.
To use terminal services, the following requirements must be met:
- The terminal server computer must have Genie Client installed.
- The terminal server computer and the Genie Server computer must be separate machines.
- Genie Client must not be installed on the Genie Server computer.
Installation and configuration of a Terminal Server and Remote Desktop Access should only be performed by a suitably qualified IT Support Representative. Please liaise with your nominated IT Support Representative for all enquiries relating to remote access to your network
Remote hosting is growing in popularity as there is no server hardware to purchase and all of your IT support is outsourced, providing you with access to your Genie database from any location with a fast and reliable internet connection.
Please consider the following, which should be asked of your hosting or cloud provider:
- Where are the remote servers located?
- How do I access my data and run my practice if I lose my internet connection?
- How quickly can a backup be restored in a disaster recovery situation?
- What are the upfront costs, ongoing costs (including server rental) and IT support?
- Do you provide a Service Level Agreement, with a guarantee of availability to my hosted applications?
- Is my data hosted on a separate computer that is not shared with other customers?
- Can I print and scan and use all Genie functionality in the remote environment?
- Will I be able to download pathology and radiology results from any diagnostic provider?
- Can I send and receive electronic correspondence using a third-party messaging provider, e.g. Healthlink, Medical Objects or Argus?
- Will I be able to utilise SMS Reminders for appointments and be able to access Genie Software Updates via the remotely hosted service?
Note: Genie Solutions cannot recommend or endorse any particular hosting company or cloud provider. The installation and configuration of Genie on any hosted server will be the responsibility of the hosting provider. Speed and performance of Genie in a remotely hosted environment can vary, and is outside of the control of Genie Solutions.
There are a few remote access programs available specifically for sites who wish to remote into a Mac computer. These options are not tested by Genie Solutions so it is best to discuss these with your IT provider to confirm if these are right for you:
- Apple Remote Desktop
- Screen Sharing
- Chrome Remote Desktop
GenieWeb is a lightweight utility for use on mobile devices, which is designed to work over low-speed internet connections.
GenieWeb can be used for:
- Viewing and editing existing Appointments
- Viewing, editing and adding clinical information
- Viewing, editing and adding Tasks
- Viewing, editing and adding Address Book records
To be able to use GenieWeb you will need:
- Genie Version 8.7.1 or later.
- GenieWeb licences from Genie Solutions.
- A static IP address allocated by your Internet Service Provider.*
- Ports 8080 and 443 open on the firewall and appropriate forwarding to the web server.*
- An SSL certificate to encrypt data between the web server and web browser.*
Please contact your IT provider for assistance with all items marked with an asterisk (*) above.
GenieWeb is not intended as a replacement for Genie Client and cannot be used for any invoicing, receipting or banking. GenieWeb does not support remote printing. Please see the complete Features List in the Genie Manual for further information.
If you're interested in moving to a cloud-based solution then Gentu, our cloud product, may be the option for you. Gentu offers a true cloud experience, giving you the ability to access your software anywhere, anytime.
To find out whether Gentu is right for your practice, please contact our Sales Team who would be happy to discuss this cloud option with you.