GenieWeb Client is a lightweight, online Genie client, designed to work over low-speed mobile Internet connections. This means that you can take Genie with you on your tablet, laptop, or phone to use some functionality of Genie in real-time while you are offsite.
GenieWeb can be used for:
- Viewing and editing existing appointments
- Viewing, editing and adding clinical information
- Viewing, editing and adding tasks
- Viewing, editing and adding Address Book records
Before you begin
So you’ve decided to use GenieWeb but now you need to know how to configure it. Where do you start?
Before you can use GenieWeb, you will need to ensure you are running at least Genie version 8.7.1 and that you are registered for GenieWeb access.
If you are unsure of whether your registration includes Web Client licences, in Genie choose Help > About Genie (Win) or Genie Client > About Genie (Mac) from Genie Client (or Genie Single User on the server computer) and confirm the Registered Web Clients is at least one. If you do not have a GenieWeb licence, please contact the Genie Sales team.
If you wish to use GenieWeb outside your local network you will also require:
Ports 19080 and 19443 to be open on your firewall and appropriate forwarding to the Genie server
A static IP address allocated by your Internet Service Provider
If you require assistance with the two points above, you may need to contact your IT support for assistance as Genie Support is not able to assist with these.
To be able to use GenieWeb you will also need a complex password for your Genie log in. Your password must contain at least:
One uppercase letter
- Start the Genie Server application on the server, if it is not already running.
- From a workstation, open Genie Client and choose File > Maintenance & Reports and click GenieWeb.
- Click on the Request Certificate button.
- You will be asked for the address used to locate your GenieWeb server, depending on how you intend to use GenieWeb.
- Please contact your IT provider or network administrator if you are not sure how to proceed.
- Your certificate request will be automatically transmitted to Genie Solutions who will perform the necessary configuration of your security certificate. Genie Solutions will contact you via email, with further instructions for configuring mobile devices for GenieWeb access.
- If there is an issue contacting the Genie Solutions servers, you will receive this alert.
- As per the message, the subsequent window will contain the certificate request file. Please send the certificate request file to firstname.lastname@example.org so that the request can be processed.
- Upon receipt of the security certificate from Genie Solutions, open Genie Client on any workstation and navigate to File > Maintenance & Reports. Click the GenieWeb icon and then click Install Certificate. Navigate to the location of the saved file sent to you from Genie Solutions. The file name will be in the format GEN12345.mca where GEN12345 will be your practice ID.
- Once the certificate is successfully installed, click on Get Started! to complete the final
- Click on the Open GenieWeb button to create a GenieWeb session in your web browser. The GenieWeb address (URL) will be displayed in the address bar of the web browser.
- A successful connection to the GenieWeb server and your Genie database will display a login window as shown.
- You can login using your Genie username and password; the username must be entered exactly as it is displayed in the login screen in Genie Client;
- Launch the web browser on your mobile device and navigate to the same address to ensure you are able to create a GenieWeb session. If you are able to access the login window as above, you are ready to use GenieWeb.
Your firewall may display an alert if ports 19080 and 19443 have not already been configured to allow GenieWeb access.
Macintosh computers may display a warning to install ‘PrivilegedHelperTools’. The security alert relates to running HTTP and HTTPS server on ports below 4000. Click OK to this security alert
Could not communicate with GenieWeb Server
When GenieWeb cannot see its server, you will get a “Cannot connect to the server” or similar splash page from the web browser.
There are a few reasons you might receive this error:
- Genie Server is not running
- GenieWeb Server is not running
- Network or firewall issue
Things to try:
- Restart the Genie Server application on the server computer
- Ensure GenieWeb Server interface is running
- Check with IT support that ports 19080 and 19443 are open and forwarded to the web server on the internal network.
Invalid Username or Password
This message is displayed when your username and
password do not match.
If you are sure you have not mistyped your password and you are still getting this error message, you may be entering a slightly different variation of your username. Some doctors may be listed as 'John Smith' whereas others may be listed as 'Dr John Smith' - you must ensure you are entering the correct variation, as per the login window in Genie client.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.