Need a new server computer? Not sure how to go about moving all of your important Genie data over? No sweat, we've got you covered.
It's true that there are a few important steps you will need to follow as part of the process of moving to a new server computer. The guide below will walk you through everything you need to know from start to finish to make sure this process runs smoothly, successfully and of course stress free.
Before you begin
- Before choosing your new server machine you will need to read the Genie Hardware Specifications article to ensure the new machine meets the minimum requirements in order for the Genie Server application to run successfully.
- You will also need to ensure you have a verified backup before proceeding with any of the steps in the migration process.
- If at any point throughout the process you get stuck or experience unexpected behavior please contact Genie Support for assistance.
The following steps should be performed on the existing server
Note: From this point on ensure that all instances of Genie on the server computer are closed before proceeding.
1. Locate your Genie folder, by default this will usually be C:\Genie (Windows) or MacintoshHD:Applications:Genie (Mac)
2. Copy the following files/folders to a USB or other portable media device:
- Any electronic correspondence folders (e.g. Medical Objects, Argus)
3. Once you have copied these files, please safely disconnect your media device from the existing server and insert it into your new server.
4. If you have an additional hard drive connected for use with Genie backups, please safely
disconnect the hard drive and connect it to your new server
The following steps should be performed on the new server
INSTALLING GENIE SERVER AND SINGLE USER
1. Download the appropriate installer, current installers are available below:
Note: If you are not using the most recent version of Genie, please contact Genie Support to obtain the appropriate installer OR upgrade prior to migrating the server.
2. Once the download has completed, launch the Genie Installer Wizard and follow the prompts until you reach the ‘Select Destination Location’ window. If you require a custom folder location, click on the Browse button and select the appropriate folder location. Once you have specified a folder, click on Next.
3. In the ‘Select Components’ window, select only ‘Genie Server Application’ and ‘Single User
Application’ as seen below and click on Next.
4. Confirm the ‘Ready to Install’ window by pressing Install and allow the wizard to complete the installation.
INSERTING THE EXISTING FILES
1. Paste your existing data (as copied in the Collect your Existing Data section) into your new Genie folder. If you have used the default location, your Genie folder will be located in be C:\Genie (Windows) or Macintosh HD:Applications:Genie (Mac).
2. Once your files are in place, test that your Genie Server application has installed correctly by attempting to launch the Genie Server application.
Note: If you are using a Windows machine and your application quits immediately after launching, you will need to create a Data Execution Prevention exception for both Genie Server and Genie Solo.
3. When you are presented with the usual Genie Server administration window, quit Genie and proceed to the next section.
FOR ALL MIGRATIONS
- Genie backups must be reconfigured, please see the Automated Backups article.
- Firewall exceptions should be made for ports 80, 8080, 2002, 21, 443, 21443.*
- TCP and UDP exceptions should be made for your server port and the two adjacent ports; by default these will be 19812, 19813 and 19814.*
- Any electronic correspondence or pathology providers you use must be made aware of the change in server.*
- Any shares you have made available must be recreated on the new server.*
- If the new server’s IP address is different, you must notify any user using the database replication system so they are able to update their replication wizard settings accordingly. For more information, please see the Database Replication chapter of the Genie Manual.
Note: Asterisks denote items that must be addressed by your network administrator or IT provider.
FOR CROSS-PLATFORM MIGRATIONS (MAC TO WINDOWS/WINDOWS TO MAC)
- The images folder pathway (File > Practice Preferences, Images & Attachments tab) must be changed to reflect the new location of the images folder.
- Any users who use the copy data script method for offsite logging will need to recreate their copy data scripts. For more information, please see the Copy Data Script section of the Genie manual.
If the IP address of the server has changed, it is likely that you will receive a network error the first time each client attempts to connect to the new server. Click on OK in this window and in the ‘Connect to 4D Server’ window, select the new database in the Available tab. It should be listed as Genie.4DC.
If you are also installing new client machines, please see the Genie guide Installing Genie Client.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.