Congratulations on becoming a new Genie user. We know you’ve got a busy day ahead and trying to get your head around a brand new system while impressing your new patients can be tricky. To make your learning experience easier, the following guide shows you through the clinical basics that you’ll need to work effectively in Genie.
Before you begin
- Before you start with Genie, you will need to have your own user set up. If your administrator has not yet done this, direct them to the Adding a New User article
- If you need Genie set up on your own computer, please refer to the Configuring a Genie Client Computer article for instructions on adding the application to your system.
- Most preferences that are specific to each individual user are controlled through File> User Preferences.
- If you need access to particular areas of Genie, your Administrator will need to give you the appropriate privileges in File> Edit Groups.
- Your daily schedule can be managed through the Appointment Book. By default, Genie will open to the Appointment Book when launched. From here you can see all of the appointments you have booked into your calendar for the day.
- If you’re not happy with the layout of the appointment book, or would like to make some changes to it’s appearance, please refer to the Appointment Book Preferences article
- To open the Clinical Window for your patient, simply select their appointment in the appointment book and choose the icon on the left of your screen.
- If the patient isn’t booked in for that day but you’d like to review their record, navigate to Open> Patients and search for the patient. When their record pops up, simply double click on their name to open their Clinical Window.
Icons in the Clinical Window
Opens the patient's demographics window
This opens a pathology request window for the patient
This opens a radiology request window for the patient
This opens a new referral reply letter. Use this option when you're wanting to write to a GP or Specialist
Opens a list of current recalls for the patient. You can add new recalls through this window as well
Allows you to open the clinical window for another patient. Alt+clicking on this button will display a list of patients with the same Medicare number.
This opens up a list of Merged Letter templates.
Opens the image browser for the patient. This will allow you to view any images added into the patient record
This will open an internet browser window to the Healthcare Fact Sheets website. From here, you can log into Healthshare and access fact sheets which you can provide to your patients. You can also access the Fact Sheets button in the Prescribing window and the Consult window. In addition, a Healthshare Fact Sheet option will appear when you right-click on an item in either Current Problems, Past History or Prescription areas.
This allows you to send an SMS to the patient or their referring doctor, and view the patient's SMS history.
The My Health Record icon is used to open a patient's My Health Record, and changes colour to indicate whether you have been granted access.
- Existing documents for the patient such as consults, letters, scans and results can be found in the Contacts section of the clinical window. By default, this will show in the top right corner or your clinical window.
- Individual records can be displayed in the display area by clicking on the record in the Contact List
- The Contact List can be sorted by Date, Title and Provider by clicking the appropriate header.
- The Contact List can also be sorted by Type of contact by clicking the appropriate tab, i.e. Consults, Attachments, Correspondence In, Correspondence Out, Procedures, Pathology, Documents, Workcover claims, Health Assessments, Care Plans, Antenatal and Tasks. The tabs displayed will depend on what Practice Type you have set in File > Set Practice Type.
To create a new consult for a patient, simply select the Add Consult button at the top of the Clinical Window. This will present you with the following window:
- Using the Select a Problem drop down at the top of the screen, select the presenting problem for the patient. If the presenting problem is not in the list, you can select New Problem and add in a new record.
- Once selected, this will appear in the Presenting Problem table.
History, Examination, Treatment/ Plan and Diagnosis
- These are all text boxes where personalised information can be manually typed in. If your practice has created any global macros, these will be available in the drop down menus above each box.
- Examination has some additional options to the right, that allow you to select details relevant to certain areas such as Respiratory, Neurology, Skin and Psychiatry.
- If you’d like to create a new macro to make your processes easier, simply select the Macros button at the bottom of the consult window.
- Measurements for the patient can be entered in the pink and white measurement table at the bottom of the consult window. To add in a new measurement record, simply select the blue plus icon above the table, and add your measurements in accordingly.
- Checklists record common Q&A or standard tests applied in specific consultations, e.g. pre/post-op, initial consults. Checklists must be created by the user or pre-configured checklists can be imported via Special > Software Updates in the Checklists tab.
- To use a checklist, select it from the drop down. Saving the completed checklist puts the data into the chosen field (History/Examination/Treatment).
- Prescriptions for patients are recorded in the Main tab of the patient's clinical record.
- To add a new prescription for a patient when in a consult, simply select the Add Script button. You will then be presented with the prescribing window where you can search for your drug.
- You can also prescribe from the Main tab of the patient's clinical window by using the Quick Script drop down to easily select commonly prescribed drugs or selecting the icon above the prescription table and searching for your drug in the presenting table.
- For more detailed information on prescribing in Genie, please refer to the article on Prescribing.
- To request Pathology for your patient, select the pathology icon. Double click on your test on the left hand side of the window. You can then use the Reason drop down to give a reason for the request.
- Click the Radiology icon at the top of the patient’s clinical window. Double click on each test you wish to order from the column on the left-hand side of the window, and then double click on the location from the column on the right-hand side of the window.
- Alternatively, type the tests manually in the central text box. Select the radiology provider from the drop down in the middle of the window and the corresponding template you wish to use from the Use Template drop down menu and then click the Print button.
Reprinting Request Forms
- To reprint a request form, go to Open > Investigations Audit. Double click on the request and click the Reprint button.
- To add a new procedure, go to Tools > Add Procedure.
- Enter in the procedure name and any other relevant information.
- If you wish to leave the procedure as ‘pending’ while the patient decides when they will come in, tick Needs an Appointment in the lower right corner and click Appointment Pending.
- If you adjust the date and time for the admission and procedure, you will be given the option to tick Needs an Appointment and click Make Appointment, which will create a matching appointment in the Appointment Book.
The Navigation Palette runs across the bottom of your Genie screen. Notifications directed at you will pop up in this palette.
- Letters In will appear in your navigation palette when you have unlinked letters.
- To review your incoming letters, simply click on the Letters In button.
- Double click on the first letter in the displayed list. Genie will match the patient based on the Surname and the first 3 letters of the First Name. If Genie cannot find the patient in your database, you can create a new patient record by using the Icon. Demographic information will be populated based on the information in the letter.
- After the letter has been reviewed, click on the icon and Genie will automatically display the next letter
Letters to Review
- A Letters to Review button will appear in your navigation palette when a letter has been created for you to review. To check your outgoing correspondence, click on the Letters to Review button.
- Double click on the first letter in the displayed list. Once you have reviewed and/or corrected the letter, click the reviewed checkbox at the top.
- Genie will automatically display the next letter in the list
Results to Review
- A Results to Review button will appear in your navigation palette when you have unlinked results. To check your results, click on the Results to Review button.
- Double click on the first results in the displayed list. Genie matched the patient based on the Surname and the first 3 letters of the First Name. If Genie cannot find the patient in your database, you can create a new patient record by using the icon.
- Demographic information will be populated based on the information in the result.
- After the result has been re-viewed, click on the Link icon. After clicking the icon, the Action List window will appear.
- If required, select a comment from the list or manually type a message at the bottom of the window. If ‘Add to Action List’ is ticked, the result will be moved to the Action List (Open > Investigations Action List) after linking so that the receptionist/practice nurse can go through the Action List taking whatever action necessary for each result. After linking a result, Genie will automatically display the next result.
- Genie users can send each other tasks to request something or simply as a reminder.
- If a task pops up in your navigation palette and it is red, it means you have an urgent task that needs to be tended to.
- If your tasks bar is green, you have tasks to complete but they aren't urgent.
- From any window within Genie you can navigate to File>Help to be presented with the Genie Manual. The manual will open to the section that is relevant to your currently open Genie window.
- To save you having to build your own menus, you can copy existing menus such as Current Problems, Past History and QuickScripts from an existing user.
- To copy the menus from another user go to File > All User Preferences. Double click on the new practitioner’s name, and go to the General tab. Click Copy Menus, and select the doctor whose menus you intend to copy.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.