Congratulations on starting with Genie! As front of house staff, it’s important that you have a thorough understanding of the Genie basics as well as some tips and tricks to make you work as efficiently as possible. This guide will help you kick start your Genie career with ease and point you in the right direction for some trickier tasks.
Before you begin
- Before you start using Genie, your Administrator will need to set up a user account for you. If they have not yet done this, direct them to the Adding a New User article
- You will also need to have the appropriate privileges set in Genie to allow you to perform your necessary tasks. These will need to be allocated by your administrator. To do this, please refer to the Edit Groups article
- If you are looking for instructions on something that isn’t listed in the below article, we would recommend having a look at the related articles at the bottom of this page.
- If you get stuck on any area of Genie you are always welcome to contact Genie Support for assistance.
- You can quickly move through the appointment book using the calendar icon. To select a date, simply click the date you are wanting to open, and Genie will flick to this day in the appointment book.
- You can also quickly flick through the years, months, weeks and days using the arrows to either side of the relevant field.
- To navigate back to today’s day in the calendar, simply select the TODAY option.
- For more detailed information on the appointment book, please refer to the Appointment Book Overview article
Booking an Appointment
- To book an appointment for a patient, double click on the appointment slot within the appointment book. You will be prompted with a basic appointment settings window where you can type in the patient name.
- If Genie finds a match for the name you have typed in, you will be prompted with a list of matching patients to select.
- If Genie does not find a matching patient, the name you have typed will turn to red. You can then select the New Patient button in the Icons on the left to add in a new record.
- If you are entering a non-patient appointment such as "Lunch Meeting with Dr Smith", then you can simply leave the text in red.
- You can then right click on the appointment and select Edit Appointment to change the settings. You can use the Type drop down to select the appointment type, and you can change the time, date and duration of the appointment in the relevant boxes.
Changing an Appointment
- You can edit the date, time, duration, type and patient for an appointment by right clicking on the record in the Appointment Book and selecting Edit Appointment. Simply make your changes in the little box that appears and the hit Enter/Return on your keyboard to update the details.
- If you want to adjust the date of an appointment but you're unsure of the provider's availability, simply right click on the appointment and choose Change Date. You will be prompted with a window that will allow you to view the schedule for any doctor on any date. You can then adjust the date of your appointment in here.
Appointments can be copied and pasted into another cell, either on the same day or on another day. To do this, you can use the keyboard shortcuts for copying and pasting i.e. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V respectively.
Note: Attached procedures will not be copied if you use this copy method. If the appointment has an attached procedure, you MUST use the Change Date function described above.
Deleting an Appointment
- If you’ve made an appointment by mistake, or a patient would like to cancel, you can select the appointment and click the Delete icon at the left of the appointment book. You can also right click the appointment and select Delete Appointment.
- You will then be prompted with the following window:
- Just Delete It will remove the appointment completely. Selecting Did Not Arrive or Cancelled by Patient will leave the appointment in the appointment book but will make a relevant note.
- You can also select to Make a consultation note, Record in patient memo or Keep Type. Keep Type will remove the appointment from the calendar, but it will keep the appointment type.
- When a patient has arrived you can let their provider know the patient is here by selecting the patient’s name in the appointment book and choosing the In Waiting Room icon
- You can also allocate another status to a patient such as In With Doctor or Ready to Invoice by selecting the patient name in the appointment book and choosing the Status drop down at the top of the screen. The text of the appointment will change colour depending on the selected status.
Opening a Patient's Demographics
- If a patient is booked into your appointment book for the day, you can open their demographics window by simply double clicking on their appointment. You can also right click on the appointment and select Demographic Window or click the Edit Patient icon
- If they aren’t in the appointment book, you can search for them by going to Open> Patients and searching for them in the pop up window or by using the search icon. To open their demographics from the Patient List, simply select the Edit Patient icon or right click on the record and select Demographic Window.
Creating a New Patient
You can create a new patient in two ways:
- From the appointment book you can select the New Patient icon which will present you with the New Patient window.
- You can also get to the New Patient window by navigating to Open> Patients and selecting the blue plus icon at the top of the screen.
- You can view the patient’s past and upcoming appointments by right clicking on their name in the appointment book and selecting Show All Patient’s Appointments. Double clicking on any of these records will take you to that appointment in the Appointment Book.
Invoicing and Receipting
- Once your patient has finished with their doctor, you can create a basic invoice for them by selecting their name in the appointment book and choosing the orange Create an Invoice icon on the left of the appointment book.
- If there are items that you regularly use, you can select the Quick Invoice option instead and choose the appropriate item from the drop down.
- If the patient is paying for the appointment at the time, you can enter the payment amount in the bottom right corner of the invoice window.
- Once you have entered a payment, the Print option in the bottom right corner will change to Receipt. You can then select the payment method in the Receipt window that appears:
Viewing a Patient Account History
- Select the patient’s name in the appointment book or search for them in Open> Patients and select their record. You can then select Ctrl/Cmd + H on your keyboard or navigate to Billing> Account History. You can also right click on the patient name in the Appointment Book or Patient List and select Account History.
Receipting an Existing Invoice
- If a patient wants to pay for an invoice that has been created in the past, you can receipt this by going to Billing> Receipt by Invoice Number. Enter the Invoice Number and you will be prompted with the Receipt window where you can choose the payment method and amount.