This article will guide you through the process for updating your Genie to Version 9.2. This can be done by following the below steps if you are currently running Genie Version 8.8.3 through to 9.1.1. This article will also assist with troubleshooting any issues you may encounter during the process. Please ensure that you have read the Before you begin section of this article in full before proceeding, as this update has specific hardware and operating system requirements that must be adhered to.
If you are upgrading from Genie Version 8.8.2 or earlier, you may require multiple updates to bring Genie up to the latest version; if you're unsure of your upgrade pathway, please reach out to Genie support for assistance.
If you are upgrading from Genie Version 7, you must refer to the Upgrading from Version 7 to Version 9 article, as the processes for the two updates are different.
Note: This update must be performed on the server computer with all users logged out of Genie. Given this, we recommend carrying out the update outside of office hours.
Before you begin
Before you commence your update, you will need to ensure that your practice meets the Genie Hardware Specifications & Operating System Requirements to run Genie v9.2. Per these guides, please note that Genie version 9.2.1 and above no longer support Windows 7 or OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) - you must ensure you have updated your server and workstations to a supported operating system, or you will not be able to proceed with the update.
Note: If the server runs Windows operating system, you must ensure that it has been updated to a 64-bit version of the OS before carrying out any of the below steps. The update cannot be completed on a 32-bit Windows server.
Once you have confirmed the above, you will be ready to start with the steps below.
- Before performing your update, you will first need to run a Verify on your data. In the Genie Server application, go to Help > Maintenance & Security Centre. Select Verify on the left, then click Verify the Records and the Indexes. If this produces 3 tick icons, you can proceed with the below steps. If any crosses are returned, do not proceed. Instead click the Open Log File button and send through the Verify_Log.HTML file to Genie Support for further advice.
- Import any offsite logs.
- Log out of Genie on all client machines and quit Genie Server on the server computer.
- Backup your existing data file and Genie applications (Genie Solo and Genie Server) and confirm that they can be restored if required.
- Download the Genie Installer file from: https://www.geniesolutions.com.au/install
- Double-click on the installer and accept the licensing prompts.
- From the Select Components window, tick Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.2.x.
- Click Next and tick the declaration to confirm that your networked computers are running the appropriate operating system(s).
- Click Install and allow the update to run to completion.
- Log into the Genie Solo application.
- Depending on the version of Genie you’re updating from, you may receive a prompt letting you know that the data file will need to be converted to work with 4D v17. Click OK to proceed.
- Click the Update button when prompted with the window below.
- Allow Genie to update the data, then quit the Genie Solo application and open the Genie Server application.
Note: Genie Solo may need to restart to finish updating the data. Allow it to do so, and then quit the application when it returns you to the login window.
- Log into the Genie Client application on each workstation. You will receive a message advising that your network version is older than your server version. Click Update.
- If you use offsite logging, you will need to run the installer on your laptop, again selecting the Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.2.x option.
Genie fails to launch when restarting the Genie Solo application.
Delete any existing Genie Solo applications within the Genie folder. Re-run the Genie Installer selecting only the Single User Application from under ‘Full Installation’ in the Select Components window.
Genie fails to launch successfully when you restart the Genie Server application.
Delete any existing Genie Server applications within the Genie folder. Re-run the Genie Installer selecting only the Genie Server Application from under ‘Full Installation’ in the Select Components window.
The Genie Client application does not successfully update and advises each time you try to open that the versions do not match.
Delete any existing Genie Client applications within the Genie folder. Run the Genie Installer selecting the Genie Client option in the Select Components window.
The Genie Client application does not automatically connect to your Genie Server application.
You will need to use the custom connect feature to direct your Genie Client application to the Genie Server:
- Double-click on your Genie Client application and immediately hold down the Alt/Option key on your keyboard.
- A Connection to 4D Server window will appear.
- Select the Custom tab.
- Enter Genie in the Database Name field.
- Enter the IP address of your server computer in the Network Address field. Note: The server IP address is displayed under System Information on the Monitor tab of the 4D Server Administration window.
- Click OK.
For further assistance with upgrade issues please contact Genie Support
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.