With all the tasks you complete in your day to day, it's easy to fall behind on things like software updates. If you've found that your current Genie is a few versions behind (version 7 or 8) and you'd like to update to Genie version 9.1, then you will need to perform this upgrade manually. The below guide will show you the steps you will need to take for this update and how to troubleshoot issues you may experience during the process.
Before you begin
This update is considered a major update and it is advised that it is performed outside of practice hours as it will require the Genie Server to be closed during the update.
Please note, if you are upgrading from Genie Version 7, your process will vary slightly. Please refer to the Upgrading from Version 7 to Version 9 article.
Once you have confirmed the above you will be ready to start with the steps below.
- Before performing your update, you will first need to run a Verify on you data. In the Genie Server application, go to Help > Maintenance & Security Centre. Select Verify on the left, then click Verify the Records and the Indexes. If this produces 3 green ticks, you can proceed with the below steps. If any red crosses are returned, do not proceed. Instead click the Open Log File button and send through the Verify_Log.HTML file to Genie Support for further advice.
- Import any offsite logs.
- Log out of Genie on all client machines and quit Genie Server on the server computer.
- Backup your existing data file and Genie applications (Genie Solo and Genie Server) and confirm that they can be restored if required.
- Download the Genie Installer file from: https://www.geniesolutions.com.au/install
- Double-click on the installer and accept the licensing prompts.
- From the Select Components window, tick Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.1.X
- Click Install and allow the update to run to completion.
- Log into the Genie Solo application.
- You should receive a prompt advising you that the data file is going to be converted to work with 4D v16. Click OK and allow the process to run to completion.
- Click the Update button when prompted.
- You’ll then receive another prompt advising Genie will quit to apply the update. Click OK. Genie Solo will start again and the log in screen will appear.
- Quit the Genie Solo application and open the Genie Server application.
- Log into your Genie Client application on each workstation. You will receive a message advising that your network version is older than your server version. Click Update.
- If you use offsite logging you will need to run the installer on your laptop, again selecting the Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.1.x option.
Genie fails to launch when restarting the Genie Solo application.
Delete any existing Genie Solo applications within the Genie folder. Re-run the Genie Installer selecting only the Single User Application from under ‘Full Installation’ in the Select Components window.
Genie fails to launch successfully when you restart the Genie Server application.
Delete any existing Genie Server applications within the Genie folder. Re-run the Genie Installer selecting only the Genie Server Application from under ‘Full Installation’ in the Select Components window.
The Genie Client application does not successfully update and advises each time you try to open that the versions do not match.
Delete any existing Genie Client applications within the Genie folder. Run the Genie Installer selecting the Genie Client option in the Select Components window.
The Genie Client application fails to open or crashes upon opening after updating.
Ensure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed.
The Genie Client application does not automatically connect to your Genie Server application.
You will need to use the custom connect feature to direct your Genie Client application to the Genie Server:
- Double-click on your Genie Client application and immediately hold down the Alt/Option key on your keyboard.
- A Connection to 4D Server window will appear.
- Select the Custom tab.
- Enter Genie in the Database Name field.
- Enter the IP address of your server computer in the Network Address field. Note: The server IP address is displayed under System Information on the Monitor tab of the 4D Server Administration window.
- Click OK.
For further assistance with upgrade issues please contact Genie Support
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.