This article will guide you through the process for updating your software to the latest Genie version 9.4.7 if you are running v8.8.3 or above.
If you are upgrading from an older version (i.e. v8.8.2 or earlier), or you would like to perform an automatic update (i.e. 9.3.2 or above) you can refer to our Genie Updates article. Any practices updating from version 7 must follow a specific process as referenced in this guide.
For a list of all the features and bug fixes that have been implemented in our newest version, please see our release notes.
Before you begin
This update must be performed on the server computer with all users logged out of Genie. Given this, we recommend carrying out the update outside of office hours.
While Genie Support are unable to perform your update for you, we are available to assist should you encounter any problems during these steps. If the steps below are not followed exactly, we may be unable to assist with technical issues should they possibly arise.
Please note: In the current version of Genie there is a different process to dropping users as outlined in this guide.
Preparing for the update
There are important prerequisites to check before updating to Genie v9.4.7 and connecting your practice to Medicare Web Services. Please complete our checklist before continuing.
- Ensure every computer at your practice meets the relevant hardware specifications and operating system requirements.
- If your server runs a Windows operating system, this must be updated to a 64-bit version before updating as the Genie update cannot be completed on a 32-bit Windows server.
- If anyone at your practice uses database replication, import any offsite logs.
- Perform a backup of your Genie data.
- Quit all instances of Genie Client (File > Quit / Genie Client > Quit) and Genie Server (application or service).
- Open the Genie Solo (Single User) application on your server machine and log in.
- Navigate to File > Maintenance and Reports > General and click the Rebuild Indices / Rebuild Data File button.
Note: The time taken by this process is dependent on the size and content of your data file, as well as the speed of your hardware.
- Allow Genie Solo to rebuild indices and relaunch, then log in once again.
- Navigate back to File > Maintenance and Reports > General and click the Reset ID Numbers button.
- Still in the General tab, click into the Maintenance & Security Centre in the bottom-right.
- Perform a verify of your Genie data by clicking into the Verify tab on the left and clicking Verify the Records and the Indexes. If this returns any red crosses, please stop the process here and submit a request to the support team for assistance.
- If the verify does not produce any errors (i.e. three ticks), close the Maintenance & Security Centre and quit Genie Solo.
- Download the installer to a location on your server machine from https://www.geniesolutions.com.au/install
Running the update
- Double-click on the installer and accept the licensing prompts.
- Browse to the correct file location where Genie is installed on your server.
Default location is Windows: C:\Genie or Mac: Applications:Genie
- From the Select Components window, tick Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.4.x.
- Click Next and tick the declaration to confirm that your networked computers are running the appropriate operating system(s).
- Click Install and allow the update to run to completion.
- Open Genie Solo (Single User) on your server machine. Depending on the version of Genie you're updating from, you may receive a prompt letting you know that the data file will need to be converted. Click OK to proceed.
- Log into Genie, then click the Update button when prompted.
- Allow the update to complete, then quit the Genie Solo application and restart Genie Server (either by opening the application or starting the service).
- Note: Genie Solo may need to restart to finish updating the data. Once it does, click Cancel at the login window to quit the application then restart Genie Server.
- MIMS Integrated subscribers updating from v9.3.8 or below will download the latest MIMS Prescribing Data upon launching the server app in accordance with the 2021 Active Ingredient Prescribing legislation. You will still be able to connect clients while this updates, however, won't be able to prescribe until it has completed.
- Log into the Genie Client application on each workstation. You may receive a message advising that your network version is older than your server version. Click Update if prompted.
- On one client machine, you will need to perform an Online Patient Verification (OPV) to connect your practice to Medicare Web Services if you utilise any Medicare Online functionality. This must be done before you attempt to transmit any claims through Genie. If you ignore the prompt that appears upon logging into Genie, you can navigate to File > Activate Medicare Web Services at any time.
Genie single users
If you are a single user practice, upon updating Genie Solo (Single User) and logging in, you may notice a small delay as Genie installs the cloud adapter and connects your practice with Medicare Web Services.
Updating offsite logging computers
If you or any users at your practice use database replication to perform offsite logging, you will need to download or copy the installer to the offsite laptop. Then follow steps 1 - 7 in the "Running the update" section above, updating the Genie Solo application on your offsite computer instead of the server.
This will usually only be required if there is a difference between the operating systems of the laptop and the Server machine e.g. the Genie Server runs on a Windows, but the laptop used for offsite logging is a Mac. If the laptop is the same operating system as the Server, the Solo application should be updated automatically at the same time as the Client application on the laptop.