This article will guide you through the process for updating your Genie to the latest Genie version 9.4.3 if you are running v8.8.3 through to v9.2.3. If you are upgrading from any other version (i.e. v8.8.2 or earlier, or v9.3.2 - v9.3.9) then please refer to our Genie Updates article instead.
If you are upgrading from Genie Version 7, you must refer to the upgrading from version 7 article, as the processes for the two updates are different.
For a list of all the features and bug fixes that have been implemented in our newest version, please see our release notes.
This update must be performed on the server computer with all users logged out of Genie. Given this, we recommend carrying out the update outside of office hours.
Before you begin
It is imperative that the below prerequisites are completed before updating otherwise we may be unable to assist with technical issues should they possibly arise.
Please note: In v9.3.2 and above, you will be unable to drop a Genie user through the Users tab of the Server Admin Window due to a known bug within the 4D product that cannot be resolved until we are fully 64-bit compatible. For an easy workaround, please see this announcement.
While Genie Support are unable to perform your update for you, we will be available to assist should you encounter any problems during the below processes.
Before running the update, you will need to ensure that your practice meets the following:
- Genie Hardware Specifications
- Operating System Requirements
- As of v9.2.1 and above, Windows 7 and OSX 10.11 El Capitan and below are no longer supported. You must update your operating system to proceed with the update.
- If your server runs a Windows operating system, you must ensure it has been updated to a 64-bit version of the OS before updating as the update cannot be completed on a 32-bit Windows server
Once you have confirmed the above, you will be ready to start with the steps below.
- Perform a verify. In the Genie Server application, go to Help > Maintenance & Security Centre. Select Verify on the left, then click Verify the Records and the Indexes. If this produces 3 tick icons, you can proceed with the below steps. If any crosses are returned, do not proceed and contact Genie Support before continuing;
- Import any offsite logs;
- Perform a backup of your data;
- Quit all instances of Genie Client as well as Genie Server;
- Download the Genie Installer file from: https://www.geniesolutions.com.au/install
Once you have met the requirements outlined in the Essential prerequisites section, you can proceed to the update itself.
After the Genie Server application has been closed or the Server as a Service has been stopped, begin the following:
- Double-click on the installer and accept the licensing prompts.
- Browse to the correct file location where Genie is installed on your server
Default location is Windows: C:\Genie or Mac: Applications:Genie
- From the Select Components window, tick Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.4.x.
- Click Next and tick the declaration to confirm that your networked computers are running the appropriate operating system(s).
- Click Install and allow the update to run to completion.
- Open the Genie Solo application on the Server machine.
- Depending on the version of Genie you’re updating from, you may receive a prompt letting you know that the data file will need to be converted to work with 4D v17. Click OK to proceed.
- Log into your Genie, then click the Update button when prompted with the window below.
- Allow Genie to update the data, then quit the Genie Solo application and open the Genie Server application.
Note: Genie Solo may need to restart to finish updating the data. Allow it to do so, and then quit the application when it returns you to the login window.
If you are updating from v9.3.8 or below and are a current MIMS Integrated subscriber, once the server restarts it will start downloading the latest MIMS Prescribing Data in accordance with the new Active Ingredient Prescribing legislation. You will still be able to connect clients while this updates, however, won't be able to prescribe until it has completed.
- Log into the Genie Client application on each workstation. You will receive a message advising that your network version is older than your server version. Click Update.
Please note: If you use offsite logging, you will need to run the installer on your laptop, again selecting the Update currently installed application(s) to Genie 9.4.x option. This will usually only be required if there is a difference between the operating systems of the laptop and the Server machine e.g. the Genie Server runs on a Windows, but the laptop used for offsite logging is a Mac. If the laptop is the same operating system as the Server, the Solo application should be updated automatically at the same time as the Client application on the laptop.
Genie fails to launch when restarting the Genie Solo application.
Delete any existing Genie Solo applications within the Genie folder. Re-run the Genie installer selecting only the Single User Application from under the Full Installation section.
Genie fails to launch when restarting the Genie Server application.
Delete any existing Genie Server applications within the Genie folder. Re-run the Genie Installer selecting only the Genie Server Application from under the Full Installation section.
The Genie Client application does not successfully update and advises each time you try to open that the versions do not match.
Delete any existing Genie Client applications within the Genie folder. Run the Genie Installer on the client machine selecting the Genie Client option in the Select Components window.
The Genie Client application does not automatically connect to your Genie Server application.
You will need to use the custom connect feature to direct your Genie Client application to the Genie Server:
- Double-click on your Genie Client application, then immediately hold down the Alt / Option key on your keyboard;
- Keep holding the key down until the Connect to 4D Server window appears;
- Select the Custom tab;
- Enter Genie in the Database Name field;
- Enter the IP address of your server computer in the Network Address field.
Note: The server IP address is displayed under System Information on the Monitor tab of the 4D Server Administration window.
- Click OK.