Labels are a great way to save you time writing out patient details by hand. Occasionally, printing labels can be tricky but often we find that there is a relatively simple solution for problems that arise. If you find that your labels aren’t working the way you want them to, please refer to the below troubleshooting methods. If you are still unsure of how to resolve your issue, please feel free to contact Genie Support who will be happy to assist.
Before you begin
If you are having any issues with documents or labels not printing from Genie, please first confirm if printing to these same printers will work outside of the Genie program. Sometimes Genie is the first place you will notice the issue but you'll soon find that the printer just doesn't seem to be working anywhere. In this case your troubleshooting will need to be with the printer itself and your print settings on your computer
If you have made any recent changes to your labels such as adding Fields or References, and have since encountered issues that you aren't sure how to remedy, please contact our Support Team to look into this for you.
If your labels look like they are printing blank, it is possible that they are actually printing off to the side of your page setup. To remedy this, please go to File > Printing Preferences and ensure that 'Always print to default printer' is unticked.
If you are on a Mac, please additionally select Page Setup next to Labels to ensure that the correct paper size and orientation are selected.
If you are finding that your label is misaligned when printed, you should check that the correct label size is selected from the Built-in Labels window.
If the label size is correct but your labels are still not printing as you want them, please contact Genie Support to investigate.
If your label won't print, try printing something to the label printer outside of Genie. If this also doesn't work, then the issue likely lies with your printer or the computer itself. You can try some standard troubleshooting methods like turning the printer and computer off and on again, and unplugging the printer before plugging it in again. If the problem persists, you may want to contact your IT to look into this issue further.
If you are able to print to the printer outside of Genie, please try the following:
- Attempt to print the label to PDF instead. If this works, it means that Genie is doing its job in creating the print job but might just be having some trouble with this particular printer. In this case, please troubleshoot your printer and the print settings outside of Genie.
- Confirm that the correct printer is selected in File > Printing Preferences and in the print settings window.
- From File > Printing Preferences, ensure that 'Always Print to Default Printer' has not been ticked.
- Select your Labels icon and choose Built-in Labels. Ensure that you have selected the appropriate printer type for either Dymo or Avery 7*2.
- Go to File > Maintenance & Reports > General and select Delete 4D Preferences. This will restart your Genie Client application. When Genie launches itself again, please log in and attempt to print the label again.
- Delete your printing preferences via File > Printing Preferences. Save these and close out of the window. Open your Printing Preferences again and reset to the appropriate settings. Please note: Before deleting, ensure that you have noted all the appropriate printing settings so that these can easily be reset. Please also confirm the scan folder location in Special > Image Pro Control if you use batch processing and the location of your transcribed letters to import from Open > Import Transcribed Letters if you use this service. The Image Pro Control and Import Transcribed Letters folder locations will need to be reset after your Printing Preferences have been deleted.
If you are still not able to get your label to print, please contact our Support Team to further investigate this for you.
Select your label icon and choose Built-In Labels. In the label template drop down see if your missing label is available here. If it is, ensure that Display in List is ticked.
If you cannot see the label in this list, it is possible that the label may have been deleted. If you find that one of your labels is missing, please contact Genie support to discuss options for restoring missing label templates.
You can create your own custom label by using the Merged Letters function. To do this, please refer to the Merged Letters as Labels article.
Ensure that your label printer is selected from the Print Settings window when you select to Print.
Please also confirm that you have selected the correct label size in File> Page Setup.
Built in Labels can be accessed by selecting your patient and then clicking the label icon . The following table shows examples of what each label type looks like when it is printed; compare your printed labels to the the ones below to confirm whether yours are printing with the correct information.
|Label Type||What it Looks Like|
|Specialist Chart 2|
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.