You may think adding a new doctor into your Genie system would be as simple as clicking the Add New User button, but have you considered configuring what the doctor needs in order to bill patients? What about the security preferences you want to give the new doctor? Would you allow them to edit saved invoices as they wish, or would you rather not let them access this kind of information?
These are the questions that can overwhelm our users when they are looking at adding a new doctor into their database, but it needn't be this way. In addition to our Adding a New User article which gives the basics, this article will go through not only the main considerations you will have when a doctor joins the practice, but will also contain an explanation of each preference that may be relevant.
Before you begin
Before you can start configuring User Preferences to suit the new doctor, you will need to ensure that you have added them into your Genie database. Follow the steps in the Adding a New User article to ensure that you do it correctly so your new doctor will enjoy smooth sailing from the get go!
Once the user has been added into your Genie database, you will then need to configure their security settings. This is a relatively straight-forward process and can be done by accessing the Edit Groups feature via File > Edit Groups. This window is divided into three sections:
- The General tab is where you can configure the general access settings for the new doctor. Pay particular attention to the Tasks section
- The Financial tab is where you can configure the access to financial and stock management areas in Genie
- The Clinical tab is where you can determine the level of restrictive access the doctor will have to clinical and patient information. This will be particularly for relevant for doctors who wish to keep separate records for their patients
Once you have added the new doctor's user into your Genie database, you should configure their User Preferences. You can access these preferences by navigating to File > All User Preferences and double clicking on the appropriate user's name. If you are the logged in user and you are setting up your own preferences, access your User Preferences through File > User Preferences.
Many of the Details tab fields listed below that you will fill out will be self-explanatory as to what information should be entered.
- Title: For the doctor this may be Dr, Prof, A/Prof of Assoc. Prof. etc
- First Name: This will not necessarily correspond with the Genie log in name for the user
- Middle Name/Initial
- Surname: This field is the only field that is required to be filled out and until it is, you may receive the prompt below:
- Provider Number: If Genie ever prompts you with a message that the provider number you are entering is wrong and you are wondering why, you may wish to refer to our article on Provider Numbers
- Prescriber Number
- Sign Off: This is where you would enter in the sign off you wish to appear in the doctor's letters. Please note that this will only work if the make use of the 'Sign Off' expression in the expressions tab in letters
- Payee Provider Number: This field tells the HIC who is to receive MediClaim cheques, i.e if the new doctor's preferences you are configuring is a locum doctor at your practice, you would enter the principle provider's number here
- Personal ABN No: If the new doctor is working in an Associateship, enter their ABN in this field. Note: If you are a solo practitioner or in a partnership you should use the Practice ABN which is stored in the Practice Preferences record
- Provider Type: If you select the new doctor as a Specialist, you have the option of selecting the relevant specialty from the Speciality dropdown to the right
- Default Bank Account: Allows you to specify which bank account the receipt window defaults to when receipting any items billed in this doctor's name
- Check Referral Validity in Appointments: will check to make sure a patient has a valid referral whenever you book an appointment and when you arrive them into the waiting room. This check will only occur if the doctor you are booking the patient in to see has this option ticked
- Medical Registration Number: Allows you to record the doctor's Medical Registration Number. This is used on United Kingdom prescriptions
- SHC Worldcare User ID: Allows you to record the doctor's OSHC Worldcare User ID for use in Worldcare claims
- HPI-I: This is the Healthcare Professional Identifier-Individual, this is used for eHealth purposes
- UUID: This is the Universally Unique Identifier, which is auto generated by Genie
The My Health Record section
Activate for this User: Allows you to activate My Health Record for the doctor. Please note that the practice would need to have My Health Record setup and all other prerequisites configured in order to activate users. For more information on this, please refer to the My Health Record section of the Genie Manual.
- Auto Capitalise: Having this option ticked will result in the first letter of words in fields in the Patient Demographics window, such as the Address lines, being automatically capitalised
- Monitor the Genie Message Board: If this option is ticked, Genie will provide the new doctor with an alert in the Navigation Palette when a new message is posted on the Forum
- Position of Navigation Palette: The Navigation Palette tracks which windows are open in Genie and provide alerts about any outstanding Tasks, Results, Letters etc. The doctor can choose where the Navigation Palette appears in relation to their screen using this preference
- Open Patient List at Startup: This is a handy preference for the new doctor if they would prefer to be presented with the Patient list on opening Genie rather than the Appointment Book
- Display Patient Mugshots: This option allows a picture of the patient to appear when the doctor enters either the patient's Demographics or Clinical windows. The picture needs to be attached to the patient's Clinical Window via the Image Browser, assigning it a type of 'Mugshot'. For more instructions regarding using mugshots, refer to the Using Mugshots article
- Create a separate email account for me: Ticking this creates an email account for this doctor as the default when using the Genie Email module
- Confirm Quit: gives an extra confirmation box when quitting out of Genie:
- Disable Main Window Close Box: (Windows only) prevents the new doctor from accidentally quitting out of Genie by clicking the red cross of the main Genie window. Note: It is recommended that you tick this preference. Using the red cross to quit Genie can result in a phantom user on your network, this can result in an error message stating that there are 'too many users logged in'. Contact Genie Support via phone or email to rectify this problem
- Maximise Windows Intelligently: (Windows only) will increase the size of the windows in Genie while maintaining the correct placement of the Navigation Palette
- Use Custom Forms Workcover Certificates: Ticking this will allow the provider to use Workcover certificates that have been downloaded from Special > Software Updates and is only available for users on Genie version 8.6.5 or higher. If this option is unticked, the Workcover certificates programmed into Genie will be used. For more information on Workcover, read the Creating WorkCover Claims article
- Display patient memo for X seconds: Ticking this option allows you to determine how long a patient's red memo box will remain on display when booking in an appointment. Setting this preference to zero will stop the memo box from appearing completely if the doctor prefers
- Default Item No: The item number entered into here is the item number which will appear as the default to be charged when the doctor saves out of the Clinical Window from the Appointment Book. You should enter the new doctor's most commonly used item number so that it is ticked by default. If you would like the items to charge box to appear but not have an item ticked by default, enter a zero into this field. Leave this field blank to prevent the items to charge box from appearing
- Use Large Clinical Window: If the doctor's screen resolution is set to 1280x754 or higher in the display properties of their computer, then you can take advantage of the larger Clinical Window by ticking this option to have the clinical window to display as per the screen shot below:
As opposed to the screen show below which shows how the clinical window appears without the preference enabled:
- Open Clinical Window to Notes Page: Selecting this option tells Genie to open to the Notes tab of the Clinical Window rather than the Summary tab. Please note that this preference only works if you are not using the large Clinical Window
- Use Small Font For Drop Down Lists: This preference is for those who have extensive drop-down menus such as Current Problems and Past History, for example. Ticking this will allow all items in these menus to become visible
- Remind Me To Start Offsite Logging: Selecting this option will prompt the doctor to start offsite logging whenever they open this database with the single-user version of Genie. See the Using Genie while Offsite article for more information
The Appointments section
- Don't send SMS reminders for my appointments: This option refers to the Appointment Reminders system which allows SMS reminders to be automatically sent to patients at a specified time prior to their appointment. If the new doctor does not want to use this system for their patients, tick this option
- I do not bill inpatient services through the appointment book: Ticking this box will prevent the display of the dialog box asking whether an invoice is to be Inpatient or Outpatient when billing from the Appointment book. This would be relevant to a General Practitioner who would not usually be billing for inpatient services or a Specialist who may only bill for inpatient work from the Patient List or directly from the procedure
- Play sound when a patient arrives: Ticking this preference for a provider will cause a sound to play when a patient appointment in that provider's column has its Status changed to In Waiting Room. The drop-down menu to the right of this tickbox allows you to select the sound you wish Genie to play. Please note that the doctor wishing to use this feature will need to configure it underneath their log in via File > User Preferences. Other users can not configure it for the doctor via File > All User Preferences
- Show me in the Appointments Book: Ticking this will create a column with the doctor's User Name in the Appointment Book. De-selecting it will remove this column. Ticking the days that this doctor consults will display their column in the Appointment Book for those days only
- Appt Interval: This option allows this new doctor to have a different appointment interval to the default interval set in Appointment Preferences, which applies to all users
The Invoicing section
- Show me in the Billing Menu: This option must be ticked if the doctor provides services, otherwise their name will not appear in the Provider drop-down menu contained in the Add Item to Invoice window
- Warn me of Future-Dated Services: This should be ticked for non-clinical staff who do the billing to ensure they do not bill an invoice that is future-dated by mistake, e.g. invoicing from a future appointment instead of today's.
- Use Type-Ahead when Billing: Again, this preference will only relate to the new doctor if they generate invoices for themselves. It means that Genie will try to predict the complete item number you are entering provided the item number is ticked as Display In List of Commonly Used Items in its Billing Items record
HIC Online / PKI
- Use iKeys to Sign Claims: Tick this option if the new doctor uses individual iKeys to sign claims
- Check for Expiring PKI Certificates: If you tick this option, the new doctor will be notified when their certificates relating to online claiming are due to expire
The Prescriptions section
Please refer to our in-depth Prescribing article for a detailed outline of the preferences to set in the Prescriptions section of the Clinical tab.
The Pathology and Radiology section
- Extract Path Results from PIT Format: Selecting this checkbox instructs Genie to attempt to extract individual results from PIT-formatted files and insert them into a Consultation record so that they can be graphed. This only works for some pathology providers, depending on how they present the results (i.e in PIT format). If you are getting nonsensical results in consultation records you should deselect this checkbox.
- Move to Action List after linking: Select this if you would like to use the Pathology Action List for dealing with pathology and radiology results. For more information on this section, refer to the Genie manual section on Pathology Recalls
- Check for Missing Run Numbers: If this is selected, Genie will check for missing pathology results whenever any user navigates to Open > Pathology and Radiology. If a run is missing Genie will warn you about it for 30 days. It is expected that you would contact the lab and request them to send the missing run again
- Bulk Bill Pathology: Selecting this will instruct Genie to automatically mark the Bulk-Bill option on printed pathology requests if the new doctor is selected. Please note that the relevant patient will need to have a valid Medicare number in order for this to work as expected
- Copy Results to Interested Parties: Having this option ticked will have Genie enter the patient's interested parties into the CC section of Pathology and Radiology requests
- Offer to store INR Results: Ticking this will provide a prompt to save INR results into the INR Control after they have been imported. INR Control is accessed through the Tools menu in the Clinical Window of the patient
- Offer to store TFT Results: Ticking this option will prompt you to save imported TFT results into the Thyroid Control. Thyroid Control is accessed through the Tools Menu in the Clinical Window of the patient
The Prompts section
- Do Not Show Prompts Window: Having this ticked will prevent the red prompt window (similar to the Memo window) from being displayed in the Clinical Window
- Pap Smear & Mammogram Alert: Selecting this option gives you a warning if a pap smear/mammogram has not been recorded in the patient's clinical window. This will only appear if the patient is a female between the ages of 20 – 70 and is she has not had a hysterectomy entered into her Past History. This will also not appear if Don't Recall is marked in her clinical window
- Overdue Recalls Alert: Ticking this option will make Genie generate a warning for you if there are any overdue recalls for a patient. This will also not appear if Don't Recall is marked in her clinical window
- Warn of pathology results received within the last 'x': If you enter a number of days in this field, Genie will give the new doctor a warning if there are any results received within that time frame when opening the Clinical Window
- Other Warnings: Depending on the age and sex of the patient, Genie will warn if you have not checked a variety of the parameters stored in the Consults Parameters, e.g. BP, Weight, Height, Cholesterol, PSA.
The Synchronising section
You can choose to synchronise your appointments and tasks to and from Outlook/iCal or one way only by choosing the appropriate radio button. Choose one way if you don't want appointments deleted from Genie to be reinstated when you next synchronise from Outlook/iCal. For more information on this feature, please see the Genie Manual section on Synchronising with Outlook/iCal.
- Synchronise the Address Book: Tick this if you wish to Synchronise your Address Book
- Tick Only synchronise those with an email address if you wish to only synchronise Address Book entries which have an email address
The Correspondence section
- Save Word Letters as Attachments: This preference is generally ticked if the doctor prefers to write their letters in Microsoft word by clicking the Word icon while in the Referral Letter window. Having this option selected will see the letter saved as an attachment rather than an outgoing letter. This is to avoid any issues with Word crashing Genie on some occasions. For more information about referral letters in Genie, please see the Customising Letter Templates article
- Make Letters Undeletable when Reviewed: Having this ticked prevents letters from being deleted after they have been marked as Reviewed by the doctor
- Default Zoom in 4D Write Areas: When opened, all letters will automatically be zoomed to this percentage of the letter area. This includes the contact display area in the Add Consult window. This is handy if the new doctor struggles to view text on the computer screen
The Electronic Correspondence section
- Mark Letters 'Ready to Send' when Reviewed: Having this ticked indicates that once letters have been ticked as Reviewed, they will be marked as Ready to Send for the third party carrier software to send on to the recipient.This option is best suited to clinicians who review their letters once typed by a secretary or typist
- Mark Letters 'Ready to Send' Immediately: Having this ticked indicates that letters will be ready to send to the third party carrier software once the letter is created and saved. This option is best suited to clinicians who create their own letters
- ReferralNet ID: ReferralNet is a third party provider for sending correspondence electronically. Enter their individual identifier here if the new doctor is signed up to use them
Letterhead areaIf you are in a multi-doctor practice and each doctor would like to have their own letterhead, this is where you can set up your individual letterhead. By default, Genie uses the letterhead set up in File > Practice Preferences. However, if you select the Use Individual Letterheads checkbox in Practice Preferences, then Genie will use the letterhead of whichever doctor is the Provider of a billed service. You can copy the letterhead already set in Practice Preferences by clicking the button. You can also insert pictures or logos by using the button. Genie allows approximately eight lines worth of text in the letterhead. If you find that the new doctor's letterhead is being truncated when printing invoices, then you will have to reduce the size of it here by either reducing the font size or reducing the number of lines.
If the new doctor works in multiple locations with different provider numbers, this is where you can set up the extra sites for billing purposes. To do this, simply click on the blue plus icon, which will present you with the following window where you can fill out all the relevant information:
LSPN: This stands for Location Specific Practice Number and needs to be filled out in order to use Medicare Online claiming if claiming for this practice site. Please note that Genie does not hold this information. If you do not know what this number is, you will need to contact the site in question.
Facility ID: This area needs to be filled out in order for you to process claims through ECLIPSE. If you are unsure about what the Facility ID for the relevant practice site is, you can locate it by referring to this health.gov webpage.
Default Site for which practice? This drop-down menu allows you to designate which site of service will be selected by default when you invoice a patient.
Please note that if you are using version 8.5.7 or higher, the Security tab will not be present; these security preferences are instead dictated by the File > Edit Groups window.
You can find a breakdown of the contents of this tab in the Genie Manual page on the Security tab.
This tab will be activated if your practice is registered for ECLIPSE and will list all the relevant health funds. For more information please see the ECLIPSE Manual provided at your ECLIPSE install or download it via Special > Software Updates > PDFs.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.