This article discusses how to activate or deactivate the Items to Charge window that appears when saving out of a clinical record, because let's face it; reception staff aren’t mind readers and can’t always know what item number they should be charging. The Items to Charge window can save the doctor having to walk out to reception and hand over a post it note because Genie has the option available and ready to use.
Did you know? In Genie v9.3.5, you can now use the Items to Charge window without closing the clinical window. See the Using the Items to Charge list section below.
See our article on Updating Genie to gain this feature, and check out our Release Notes for more great features in our recent version.
Before you begin
The Items to Charge window is titled Select Items in Genie.
This window will only appear when saving out of a clinical file if you have something entered into the Default Item field in the General tab of your User Preferences.
Any items you wish to appear in the Items to Charge window will need to already exist in Open > Billing Items.
In order to have the items to charge window appear upon saving out of a clinical window you will need to:
1. Navigate to File > All User Preferences;
2. Double-click on the user you wish to activate this window for;
3. Select the General tab;
4. In the Default Item No field, enter an item number that the provider uses regularly. This field can be located on the left hand side, near the centre of the window;
Note: The item entered within the Default Item No: field will be selected by default when opening the Items to Charge window. If you wish to use the Items to Charge window, but do not want an item to be selected by default, simply enter 0 into the Default Item No: field
5. Save out of the User Preferences window and the All User Preferences Window. ￼
This will now prompt Genie to open the Items to Charge window every time this user saves out of a patient’s clinical record.
Note: This field does not change the ability to click Send Items while remaining in the patient's record.
If you wish to create a list that a provider can select from upon saving out of a clinical window you can do so by following the below instructions:
Note: You will need to be logged in as the user who wishes to use this list to be able to complete the below instructions.
- Open a patient’s clinical record and click the Send Items button in the top right corner of the window;
- Once the Select Items to Charge window opens, please select the Add Items to List button;
- Enter the Item Number that you wish to add to the list;
- Select Yes to the prompt that appears;
- Continue the above steps until all desired item numbers have been added into the list.
You will need to do all of the above instructions for each user that wishes to use the Items to Charge window, either when still in the clinical window, or when saving out of the patient's clinical record.
1. To remove an item, an item in the table needs to be highlighted and then you simply need to select the Remove Item button.
2. To change the order of the entries click on the entry you wish to move and drag it to the new desired location in the list
Once you have activated the Items to Charge window, you can access it in two separate ways.
Accessing while remaining in a clinical window
If you are running Genie v9.3.5 or above, you can access the Items to Charge window without having to save out of a patient's file. This means that your doctors can continue uninterrupted with their patient notes. Simply click the 'Send Items' button in the top right of the clinical window to activate the Items to Charge window.
The doctor can tick/untick any desired item numbers as well as add an additional message to reception staff.
To add a message to reception staff, you can do so by typing into the field on the right hand side of the window, above the text Message to Reception. If this message will be used regularly you can save it in the drop-down menu by selecting the Save in Menu button. Any text entered in this area will appear beside the patient's name in the Appointment Book bound by square brackets, e.g. [Follow-Up Appointment please].
Once you are happy with this, click Send, then you can continue with your notes.
This will not trigger the Items to Charge window again once you save out of the clinical file.
Accessing after saving out of a clinical window
If their User Preferences are set up correctly, the doctor will be presented with the 'Select Items' window each time the doctor saves out of a patient's clinical record
Note: The Items to Charge window will only appear when you enter the Clinical Window via the Appointment Book and the patient has not yet been invoiced for that day.
You can then tick/untick your items and add a Message to Reception. Once you are happy, click Send.
When a new invoice is opened the item/s will automatically populate in ‘Item/s to charge’ box with the note in red beside it. Selecting the Add Item to Invoice button will then automatically add those items to the invoice.
Note: If an incorrect item has been selected double clicking on the item number in the Item/s to Charge box will remove it.
To deactivate the Items to Charge window, you simply need to:
- Navigate to File > All User Preferences;
- Double-click on the user you wish to deactivate this window for;
- Select the General tab;
- Remove any numbers that are entered in the Default Item Number field. This field can be located on the left hand side, near the centre of the window;
Note: If any number (including 0) is entered in the Default Item Number field, the Items to Charge window will continue to appear when saving out of the patients clinical record.
- Save out of the User Preferences window and the All User Preferences Window;
- This should have now deactivated the Items to Charge window from appearing when saving out of a patients clinical record.
You will still be able to use the Send Items button at the top of a patient's clinical file to send items to reception while still in the clinical window.