You’ve invoiced, you’ve received payment, and now it’s time to receipt in Genie! So how do you do it?
In this article we’ll take a look at the sorts of receipting circumstances you may encounter, and how to best deal with these.
Before you begin
How you go about receipting will depend on the particular circumstances of the money you have received. Specifically, has the amount been paid in a lump sum for a batch or just a single invoice? Is the invoice you are wanting to receipt for a person or an organisation?
You may firstly want to refer to the Open > Account History window where you will find the invoice you are wishing to receipt.
In here you can make note of information on this invoice—importantly, the invoice number as you may need this for the receipting process.
After adding items to an invoice, you have the choice of printing, deferring, or receipting it.
The Payment field will be highlighted as shown:
If the patient is paying immediately, simply type the payment amount in this field and the Print button will become the Receipt button:
Note: There is no need to click the cursor in this field as it is already highlighted. You also don't need to enter zero cent amounts i.e. if the patient is paying $100.00, you can type '100'; you don't need to type '100.00'.
If a deposit exists, you will be prompted about whether you would like to apply the deposit on clicking the Receipt button, or you can click the button. It is good practice to ensure that you apply the deposit and receipt any other amounts separately, i.e. on different receipts, to avoid any issues this can create in your banking.
You will then be presented with the Receipt window:
In the top left hand corner of the receipt window is the Bank to: field where you can choose where to bank the money you are about to receipt. This will default to the bank account specified in the doctor’s User Preferences but can be manually changed if desired. To the right of this is the date field to indicate when the payment has been taken. This can be backdated if need be. Beside this is the account holder for the invoice.
On the left hand corner of the receipting window the amount paid will already be entered into one of the payment fields, depending on what preference you have set in File > Practice Preferences > Miscellaneous > Default Receipt type. However, you can change the payment type by clicking on the appropriate radio button, for example, Personal Chq. The payment amount will then shift into the Personal Chq field.
If opting for the Personal Chq payment method, fill in the Cheque details. Entering the cheque number is not compulsory, however, it will appear on your Bank Deposit slip if entered.
Please note that anything that goes through the EFTPOS terminal should be EFTPOS. The Credit Card field can be used for all other payments such as HICAPS that are taken from a credit card but which are not taken through the EFTPOS machine.
It is also possible to split the payment via different methods such as EFTPOS and cash. For this circumstance, simply type the relevant amounts into the correct fields.
If there are several items and you are not receipting the full amount, Genie will allocate the payment to the first item number and work its way down until there is no more to be allocated.
If all details in the receipting window are correct, you can then click on the button.
- Go to Open > Patients
- Use the search window to find the relevant patient
- Click on Billing > Receipt. If the patient has an outstanding account, the Receipt window will appear with any/all outstanding items listed on it
- Enter the total being paid in the appropriate payment type box in the top left, and if the patient is paying for all outstanding items, simply click on the Auto-Fill button to automatically allocate payment to all items
- If the patient is not paying for all outstanding items, you must manually allocate each payment against the appropriate item by clicking in the Payment field. If the patient is making a part payment, slow double-click in the Payment column for an item to enter less than the full amount
- Click or
- From the Appointment Book or Patient list, navigate to Billing > Receipt by Invoice No, enter the invoice number and click OK to display the Receipt window
- Enter the amount being paid in the box next to the appropriate payment type(s)
- If all items are being paid, click Auto-Fill, otherwise click into the Payment column for each item being paid and enter amounts against each item until the payment total is accounted for
- Click or
Selecting Store will enable you to receipt without printing the receipted invoice. If you choose this and decide later that you do want to print the invoice, you can do so from the patient’s Account History by selecting the invoice and clicking on the printer icon.
Many times, the patient will only be paying the gap on the invoice, in which case, you need only enter the gap amount into the payment section in the invoicing window.
If the patient is only paying the gap, enter the gap payment amount, as indicated at the bottom of the invoice window, into the Payment field on the invoice and click on the Receipt button. Genie will then automatically assign the gap payment to the first item number. You can spread the gap payment (proportionately) across all item numbers by Alt + clicking on the Auto-Fill button.
If a patient only ever pays the gap amount you can remind yourself of this by ticking the Pays Gap Only tick box in the patient's demographics window. This will then be indicated in the invoice window.
If the original invoice was billed to an organisation such as a health fund and it has not been batched (such as through File > Maintenance and Reports > Daily > Bulk Bill/DVA Transmission) it must be receipted from the Account Holders list.
- Start by navigating to Open > Account Holders
- Search for the Organisation name in the Organisation field:
- Once this has brought up the correct record, select it and navigate to Billing > Receipt
- Note: If you receive an error message when you try to receipt from this list, you have nominated this account holder to be batch processed only. To reverse this, double-click on the record in the Account Holders list, and untick the Batch Process Invoices tick box at the top of this window:
- Fill in the total payment amount in the appropriate payment type field at top left of the Receipt window
- To allocate the payment to the patients specified on the organisation's statement, simply click in the Payment field of each of the relevant patients. To assist with locating relevant patients, you are able to click on the Patient column header to sort alphabetically
For accounts that have been paid on a batch, it is possible to receipt these as a batch—rather than on an individual basis. Although we will not delve deeply into these functionalities in this article, you would receipt a Medicare or ECLIPSE batch through the Ready to Receipt sections once you have clicked on the appropriate button in File > Maintenance and Reports > Daily window:
To receipt a manual batch, you would:
- Navigate to File > Maintenance and Reports > Daily > Manual Batching
- You would then highlight the batch in this window that you wish to receipt and click the Receipt button
- The receipt window will then appear where you can enter the payment amount in the appropriate payment method field
- Click or