The appointment scheduling system within Genie allows you to record a doctor’s ongoing schedule (e.g. a four-weekly roster). An accurate schedule allows staff to effectively manage appointments for patient consultations, theatre bookings and other availability, as well as marking when the doctor may be unavailable (e.g. meetings, holidays, conferences).
Before you begin
Before you are able to add or amend the appointment schedule you would need to have been assigned the Modify Appointment Schedule security preference through the Edit Groups window of Genie. It is important that you have thought about the doctor's permanent appointment roster versus ad hoc events he or she may attend. It is a good idea to have a copy of the appointment schedule in front of you before you get started.
Note: You'll also need to ensure your appointment book is set to the Provider View icon (two doctors) outlined here:
When viewing the appointment book in any other view, appointment schedules will be hidden.
- Go to the day in the Appointment Book that you would like to start the schedule from.
- Ensure that your Appointment Book is set to Hide Appointments and Show Scheduler. These icons can be found on the left side of the Genie Appointment Book underneath the calendar.
- Go to the Type drop-down at the top of your Appointment Book and select the type that you would like to apply, e.g. No Appointments.
- Click and drag over the desired time frame in your Appointment Book.
- Once you have released your mouse cursor a schedule details window will appear. This window will display the selections you have just made however will now provide you with an opportunity to make any further adjustments such as repeating the schedule or setting an end date. A breakdown of the window is provided below:
- Date/Times: this defaults at the date and times you have clicked and dragged on, but can be changed if you have made a mistake.
- Duration: this defaults at the duration you have clicked and dragged, this can be changed in this window.
- Provider: the provider you have created the schedule for, this cannot be changed in this window.
- Repeating: this will default on Non-repeating, you can change this depending on your needs.
- End date: this does not have to be specified, but can be if you need a precise end date.
- Room: usually only specified if this block will be used as a theatre list as this will enter the hospital into the procedure record when booking patients and attaching a procedure.
- Type: the type you have chosen prior to clicking and dragging.
To make an appointment schedule repeat for a specific period of time, click on the Non-repeating drop-down menu in the Scheduler box and select the required option (e.g. if you would like the schedule to occur every week then you would select that option).
Once you have selected the appropriate option, the End date field will become available. If you do not select an end date, this appointment schedule will repeat indefinitely until such time as you apply an end date or delete the schedule.
If the schedule you are creating conflicts with an existing schedule, you will get the following alert window:
In this example, the schedule you are creating conflicts with the Consult – Randwick schedule on Monday. You have the option to either:
- End existing: this allows you to overwrite the existing schedule (Consult – Randwick) with the new schedule that you are creating. This means an end date, the date of the conflict, will be applied to the existing schedule if it's repeating, no longer creating a conflict with your new schedule. The schedule prior to the end date will remain unaffected. Or it could mean that your existing schedule is deleted altogether if it was set to Non-repeating.
- Cancel: will cancel the creation of the new appointment schedule and leave any existing schedules intact. You will then need to go and either manually adjust the existing schedule or adjust the new schedule you are creating to ensure that no conflicts exist.
There may come a time when your doctor decides to change their appointment schedule.
Follow the instructions below to make a permanent change to the schedule.
- Ensure that your Appointment Book is set to Hide Appointments and Show Scheduler
- Go to the day in the calendar that you want the change to start from. Right-click anywhere on the schedule that you have created, and you will be presented with the options to either Edit appointment schedule or Delete appointment schedule.
- If you click on Edit appointment schedule the scheduler details window will appear allowing you to make your changes (e.g. extend or decrease the time of the schedule).
- If you click on Delete appointment schedule you can delete any future instances of the schedule or delete the entire schedule which will delete both past and future instances.
From time to time there will be instances where you need to make a one-off change to your appointment schedule (e.g. a conference or a holiday). To make this change you need to apply an appointment type over top of the doctor's usual schedule.
Follow the instructions below to account for such anomalies:
- Ensure that your appointment book is set to Show Appointments and Show Scheduler .
- Go to the day in the calendar and click and drag over the required time slots.
- Proceed to the Type drop-down and select the required type from the list.
The one-off change will then appear as a type over the top and therefore does not affect future instances of the schedule.
Alternatively if you do not like to use appointment types over your schedule you could use the steps listed above in the 'Amend a schedule for a permanent change' section to delete only future instances of the schedule, apply a non-repeating schedule for the conference and restart your original schedule after the conference.
If you want patients to book appointments online with your providers, then you will first need to set up your Appointment Book Schedule with this functionality.
Please note: You will require the use of an online booking software to sync online appointments within Genie. We have partnered with HotDoc to deliver Specialist Bookings - an integrated online booking system that is currently in beta with a small group of practices. For further information regarding Specialist Bookings, powered by HotDoc, please register your interest here.
You can create a new type specifically for online appointments, or make an existing appointment type available for online bookings. To do this, click on the Type drop-down at the top of our Appointment Book, then click Modify.
Within this window, you can use an existing type, or create a new type for online appointments by clicking Add Type. With the Appointment Type highlight on the left, ensure you tick the checkbox for Make Available Online, then click OK.
If you have created a new Appointment Type specifically for Online Appointments, you can set this up in your Appointment Book by following the Creating a schedule section above. If you have made an Appointment Type available online that already exists in your current schedule, this will now make all future vacant appointment slots against this schedule available for patients to book online.