Setting strong passwords is a necessary protection for not just your practice management software, but for every day life. While passwords for your Genie user aren't mandatory, they are strongly encouraged to ensure only you have access to your profile, and your patients' Personal Health Information remains safe.
While we strongly recommend every user has a complex password, if you utilise GenieWeb or Database Replication you are required to have a password on your Genie user account that:
- is at least eight characters in length,
- contains at least one upper-case letter, and
- contains at least one number.
Setting a password for a new user
- Navigate to File > Add or Change User.
- Highlight the new user and click the Set Password button.
- In the window that appears, click into the Old Password field, then press the Tab key on your keyboard to move into the New Password field, leaving the old password blank.
- Enter in your password in both new password fields, then click OK to save this preference.
Changing or resetting your password
- Navigate to the log in window of Genie, or File > Add or Change User.
- Highlight your username and click the Set Password button.
- Click into the Old Password field and enter in your old password, or the override password1 provided to you by Genie Solutions.
1 Only the Genie Licensee or an authorised individual can obtain the override password from Genie support.
- Use the Tab key to move through the fields, typing in your new password.
- Click OK to reset your password.
- Make a password that is tough to guess, but easy to remember.
- Use a combination of alpha-numeric and special characters.
- Avoid using words that people could guess, e.g. significant dates, phone number, family/friend names, street addresses.
- Keep it secret, keep it safe! Don't store your password where someone else can access it. If you have trouble keeping track of your passwords you may benefit from an online password management system such as MyGlue or LastPass.
- Never leave your computer unattended while logged into Genie.