This article will provide you with detailed instructions on how to populate an electronic signature into the referral/reply letter template. This will help providers with time management as their signature will be loaded automatically onto correspondence – no need to physically sign each individual letter which can be numerous in a busy practice.
Before you begin
Before you can begin enjoying the benefits of a streamlined letter writing process you will need to obtain an electronic copy of the doctor’s signature. You can do this by using a tablet or touch screen computer or else have the doctor sign a blank piece of paper and scan the signed piece of paper onto the computer. We recommend saving the signature in JPEG Format but most image formats should suffice. It’s also important to ensure that the electronic file only consists of the signature (Image 1 below) and not surplus space around the signature (Image 2 below). This is important as Genie does not have ability to crop the image. By removing excess white space you can be confident in resizing and aligning the signature within the letter.
Opening the Template
- Highlight a patient in the Appointment Book
- Select the referral/reply icon
- Select the template that you wish to add the signature to in the top left corner of the window.
- Select the ‘Edit Template’ button, located in the top right corner of the window.
Importing the Signature
- Click into the area where you would like to have the signature located in the Letter.
- Double-Click on the ‘Picture from Library’ expression, located on the left-hand side of the window.
- Select the ‘Add’ button located to the right of the Picture Library window.
- Select the Browse button.
- Locate and highlight the signature file that you wish to import.
- Select Open. This should now load the signature into the Edit Picture window.
- Rename the file if you wish in the ‘Picture Name’ field of the Edit Picture window.
- Select OK.
- Ensure that the signature file is highlighted in the Picture Library window and then select OK.
- Ensure that ‘Insert Picture in Text Flow’ is selected and select OK.
Adjusting the size of the signature and saving the template
In order to adjust the size of the image you can click on the image. You should then see boxes in the corners of the image and on the lines in-between the corners. To adjust the size, you will need to click and drag either of these squares towards the centre of the image to away from the centre of the image. To make the signature smaller, click and drag the square towards the image centre, and click and drag the squares away from the image centre to make the signature larger. This part is a trial and error process as every provider may prefer their signature to appear in a different size
Tip: Holding down the Shift key on your keyboard before clicking on the arrows will ensure Genie retains the height/width ratio of the image.
Once you are satisfied with the way the signature appears in the letter template, select the Save button located in the top right corner of the window. Your letter template will now contain the signature file.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.