It's a fact of life that people will come and go from a workplace. When Genie was originally installed at your practice your user list would have been generated with all the current staff at that point in time (really handy right?!?). Only problem is you've now had a new user start at your practice and you have no idea how to add them into Genie. Thankfully this helpful article will step you through the process and your new staff member will be up and running in no time.
Before you begin
Once you have added a new user to Genie their username cannot be changed. As such it's important to ensure you know what username you wish to use for this new staff member. Have a look at other users in your database and check how they are listed - for example if your doctors are in the format of Dr First Last you will want to use the same convention for any new practitioners.
Note: When it comes to naming conventions for usernames, avoid using brackets or slashes in the name (e.g. Dr John Smith (1), or Dr Smith/Dr Jones) as these can cause various issues throughout Genie and when exporting data. Full stops, unorphaned hyphens and apostrophes are all accepted characters (e.g. Prof. Smith, Mary-Jane, O'Keefe etc).
You will need the Genie Administrator password to add a new user
- While logged in as any Genie user, go to File > Add or Change User.
- Click Add User. When prompted, enter the administrator password and click OK.
- In the next window that appears, enter the name of the new user and click OK.
Note: It is important to enter the text exactly as the user wishes as this may be difficult to change in the future.
- The new username will now appear in the list. Select it and click Set Password. The new user can leave the Old Password field blank if this is the first time they have created a password, and press the Tab key to proceed to the New Password field.
- Enter the desired password in the New Password field, and enter it again in the Re-enter New Password field. Click OK.
- The new user should now be able to log in by highlighting their name in the list, entering their password in the box at the bottom and clicking OK.
Before configuring the user’s preferences, it is important to ensure they have been given the appropriate permissions in Genie. You can do this by navigating to File > Edit Groups, then adding the new user to an existing group, or adding a new group. For more information on how to configure this window, please refer to our article on Edit Groups.
Note: Depending on your own security settings, you may or may not be able to access this area. If you are unable to access this area, your administrator will need to give you permission to edit groups.
When the new user logs in for the first time, they will be prompted to set up their User Preferences. If this window does not appear, you can access it via File > User Preferences.
Configuration for non-providers (e.g receptionist)
If the new user is not a medical provider e.g a receptionist, they will only require basic information to be entered in their User Preferences. Typically, you would enter their first name and surname in the Details tab, and set their provider type to Receptionist in the drop-down menu. To remove the receptionist from the appointment book, untick Show me in the appointment book in the General tab.
Configuration for providers
Details tab: This tab contains information about the user. Enter the user’s details as required, including their surname.
- Personal ABN: This will only be relevant if the ‘Doctor’s ABN’ radio button is selected in File > Practice Preferences.
- Bank Account: If the provider’s payments will be made to an existing bank account, select this in the Default Bank Account drop down menu. If they want to use a different one, add this first via Open > Bank Accounts and click on the plus sign. You can then select it in the User Preferences. Also see The Appointment Book section below to enable the provider to bill from Genie.
General tab: This tab contains preferences that relate to how Genie will behave when this user is logged in.
- Default item number: Enter a number in this field if you would like the provider to be prompted with an Items to Charge window upon exiting the clinical window.
- Don’t send SMS reminders for my appointments: If the practice is configured to send SMS messages automatically and the new provider does not wish to do this, this preference must be unticked.
- Show me in the appointment book: If the provider only works on some days of the week, ensure only the relevant days are ticked.
- Show me in the billing menu: This preference must be ticked before attempting to invoice for the new provider.
Practice Sites tab: This tab contains information about the locations at which this provider practices. At least one practice site must be added for your provider before attempting to create an invoice. To add a new practice site, click on the button and enter the relevant details.
Some tips when filling out certain fields in the user preferences have been provided above. For a detailed overview of the fields please refer to the manual.
The appearance settings in the appointment preferences area are user-specific, which allows you to accommodate variations in the staff’s requirements for the column order, font size etc. For this reason, you must be logged in as the relevant user to change any appointment preferences. To access the appointment preferences, go into Appts > Appointment Preferences.
- Open to View: This drop-down determines which of the appointment book modes is automatically displayed when opening Genie. If you are unsure of what these modes look like, try switching between modes using the icons under the calendar in the appointment book.
- Fonts and rows: Font and row sizes can be modified using the drop-down and fields available. These preferences only apply to the appointment book and will not affect the clinical window or any other areas of Genie.
- Modify Columns: Clicking on this button allows you to make changes to the appearance of columns in the appointment book. If you feel you require more space for a given column, you can expand it by increasing the value in the Width column. You can also remove any irrelevant columns from your appointment book. For example, if you do not use the Rooms function in Genie, you may wish to remove that column and make more space for your Notes column.
Column order and rooms tab
- Columns: Providers can be hidden from the current user’s appointment book without affecting other users’ appointment books; this can be particularly useful in a large practice. For example, if Receptionist 1 is only managing Dr A and Dr B’s appointments, she can hide Dr C and Dr D from this list. Receptionist 2 who manages Dr C and Dr D’s appointments can then log in as herself and hide Dr A and Dr B from this list. To hide a provider, highlight their name in the Columns list and click on the button.
- Rooms: The rooms will only need to be modified if your new user is practising at a new location, which no other provider has previously added. To add a new room, click on the button at the top of the Rooms list.
Online claiming registration
It is necessary to register your new provider’s intent to use online claiming with Medicare, not with Genie. Providers can begin claiming as soon as the following details have been entered:
- Provider number: User Preferences > Details tab
- Payee Provider number: User Preferences > Details tab
- Practice site: User Preferences > Practice Sites tab
- Fund Payee ID: User Preferences > ECLIPSE tab (ECLIPSE only)
If your new user will be using Genie on a new machine, you will need to install Genie and some additional software packages including the HIC online plugin and QuickTime. Please see our Configuring a Genie Client article for further steps.
Additional Genie Licences
Adding a new Genie user does not necessarily mean you will need an additional Genie licence. Genie licences are required for simultaneous users; if you are replacing a former member of your practice, or your new user works on days when another user is not in, you will not require a new licence. In the event that you will require an additional licence, call the Genie sales team on 1300 889 362.