Occasionally you might find that you have more than one record for a patient. This may happen when you import patient information, or just from a user accidentally creating a duplicate record. Genie’s Merge Patients function saves you from having to manually recreate patient details in another file to keep all of your patient’s information in the one place.
Before you begin
In order to merge patient records, you will need to be a user with the preference 'Merge patient records' enabled in the Edit Groups window (File > Edit Groups). For more information about security preferences in Genie, refer to the Edit Groups article.
Before you attempt to merge patient records, you should ensure you have a verified backup of your Genie data. A verified backup is a backup with which you can confirm your data can be restored.
Merging Patient Records
- Go to Open > Patients and search for the patient name. If you have more than one patient with this name, select only the duplicate records and go to Records > Use Selected (note that you can Ctrl+Click to select non-consecutive records on a Windows computer, or Cmd+Click on a Mac).
- You can then highlight the two records you wish to merge and select Patients > Merge Patients. Genie will then attempt to merge the records.
- If the records are exactly the same, Genie will proceed without further prompt. If the account holder records are the same, the record name will be chosen arbitrarily. The record that is not chosen will then be removed from Genie.
- If the DOB or name does not match exactly, you will be given a prompt alerting you to this and asking whether you wish to update anyway.
- If the account holders are different, you will be presented with a window asking you to choose the account holder for the record.
There are occasional circumstances where you will find that you have multiple duplicate records for a number of patients after importing patient records. As Genie will only allow you to merge two patients at a time, you may prefer the option of merging all of the patients with multiple records at once. In this instance, please contact Genie support at 1300 889 36 or firstname.lastname@example.org who can instruct you further in this process.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.