If you have ICPC2-Plus or ICD10-AM codes installed, clinical database searches are easier, faster, and more accurate.
Before you begin
You can check which codes you use, if any, by looking in File > Practice Preferences, double-clicking the clinic name, and selecting the Miscellaneous tab.
To perform an ICPC/ICD10 search, open the Patients List (Open > Patients), cancel the search window that appears, and click on the ICPC Search button . This will display the ICPC or ICD10 search screen, depending on which coding system you are using.
- Select the Current Problems table from the Table to Search drop down menu in the top left of the screen.
- In the Keyword Search field, begin to enter 'diabetes'. The word may auto-complete.
- Press the Tab key on your keyboard. This will display all the relevant conditions and terms in a hierarchical list on the right, with major topics and subtopics.
- In this case we are searching on the major topic of 'Diabetes, Insulin Dependent', so single click this to select it.
- In the Age Range fields, enter '40' for the bottom end of the range and '120' for the top end. This will ensure everyone over 40 is accounted for.
- Clicking the button will search the entire database of patients.
You will be returned to the Patient List which will now display all patients over the age of 40 who have insulin dependent diabetes.
Note: Clicking the Query in Selection button will search among only those patients who are already displayed in the Patient List.
Note: Clicking the Show Exceptions checkbox will find patients over 40 who are not diabetics.
To continue on from the query above to find all patients over the age of 40 who have insulin dependent diabetes but who are not taking an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, follow the instructions below:
- Click on the Rx Search button at the top of the Patient List
- Click on the Class radio button and enter the brand name of a drug in the particular class e.g. 'Zocor'
- Click and the class will now be entered in the Search for... field
- Click the three checkboxes named Find all strengths, Search current selection only, and Find Exceptions. This instructs Genie to search only among the patients already displayed, and to search for those patients who are not taking the particular class of drug.
- Click .
The list of patients from the last query will be refined to only include those patients not using HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor.
- Open the Patients List (Open > Patients), cancel the search window that appears, and click on the ICPC Search button
- Select Procedures from the Table to Search box
- Type 'append' in the Keyword Search box or enter the item number into the ICD10 Code Search box
- Press Tab and the search results will be displayed on the right
- Choose the appropriate procedure code by single clicking on it
- Click the button to start the search
This will return you to the Patient List where you will see a list of all patients who have had an Appendicectomy.
If you think somebody else would appreciate reading this article feel free to email them a link.